Alumnus launches new 'meggings' fashion line

<p>Freck</p>

Freck

All it took was two men with an affinity for spandex and a wild imagination to help spur a new fashion trend that has only just begun: meggings.

Meggings are exactly what they sound like — leggings made specifically for men.

Adam Freck, a 2004 MSU graduate, is the co-founder of Meggings Man, a Chicago-based online company devoted to selling different designs of the tight and stretchy pants.

“We knew guys had been attempting to wear women’s leggings and (had) been wearing them for quite a while now,” Freck said.

About 10 months ago, Freck and the company’s co-founder, Andrew Volk, created a blog asking men what type of fashion they would like to see more of. Meggings emerged as the top contender.

Freck and Volk had worked for five years designing green screen spandex suits for special effects in movies.

Armed with the knowledge that came from experience in the field, the two set about creating a line of leggings just for men.

“We had the resources to get it started, to do it the right way and right away,” Freck said.

They took months to work on the designs, which include a range of styles from camouflage to stripes and checkers. They also made the leggings better suited for men by inserting an extra triangular piece of fabric.

After perfecting their version of meggings, the partners launched their website in December.

The site offers 14 different megging designs, which has options such as solid black, an American flag pattern and metallic gold .

Freck and Volk were shocked at how fast their business took off.

Freck said within three weeks of launching their site, the company has already sold out on certain designs and has gained nearly 7,000 likes on Facebook.

With the website generating waves of both of positive and negative feedback, the two are already aware of what improvements they need to make and plan to work hard to keep standards high.

Freck said there will be five new designs available for purchase on Meggings Man by the end of this month.

The eventual goal is to move Meggings Man into stores, Freck said.

“We’re not trying to reinvent jeans,” he said. “We’re making a product where there’s already been clear demand for it in the market.”

Share and discuss “Alumnus launches new 'meggings' fashion line” on social media.