Men's soccer falls to Notre Dame in tourney

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — The run is over.

The 11th seeded MSU men’s soccer team’s season came to an end Saturday night after a 2-1 loss to three-seed Notre Dame in the Elite Eight. Evan Panken scored off a lose ball in the first half, and Patrick Hodan doubled the lead at the beginning of the second.

Sophomore midfielder Jay Chapman pulled the Spartans back into the game with a header with just over 20 minutes to play, but it wasn’t enough for the Spartans to advance to the Final Four.

“Our guys played well tonight from top to bottom,” head coach Damon Rensing said. “They put everything on the line and played great. This senior class is a special class, and I’m very proud of them.”

Notre Dame dominated the possession early, getting off the first six shots of the game.

Notre Dame sent in a corner in the 31st minute, and the ball got tangled up in a mix of Spartans and Irish. Panken had an open chance right in front of the net, and there was nothing sophomore goalkeeper Zach Bennett could do.

It was just the second goal MSU had given up in the last six games. The Spartans found their feet a little bit as the half went on.

Senior midfielder Brent McIntosh had a shot go over the bar, and Chapman saw his go wide. Just a minute and a half out of the locker rooms, Hodan wiggled his way through the MSU defense and found the back of the net to put the Irish up a pair. It was the fifth straight game with a goal.

As the saying goes, a two-goal lead is the most dangerous score in soccer, and MSU almost proved that to be true.

Chapman headed a ball past Notre Dame keeper Patrick Wall after junior forward Tim Kreutz sent a beautiful ball in the box.

“Michigan State is always tough,” Notre Dame head coach Bobby Clark said. “We get the goal and we maybe scored the second goal too early, because it gave them time when we’re up 2-0. They got that good goal by Chapman, a good header, and it made it a very nervous final half.”

After the goal, the Spartans came out with a renewed sense of attack, but the Irish sat back and absorbed the pressure.

Kreutz had the best chance with just over a minute to go after senior midfielder Brent McIntosh crossed a ball in from the right side, but it bounced off the post. “After I scored, the bench was going crazy, and they thought we were going to get a second goal,” Chapman said. “They made it very tough on us. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough. The soccer gods weren’t with us today, but we’ll come back next year.”

It was the second straight year MSU lost to Notre Dame in the NCAA tournament, falling 3-0 in the second round a year ago, but Chapman and Rensing agreed that they can walk away this year with their head held high.

Notre Dame will be making their first ever trip to the Final Four.

Rensing said it was a hugely successful season not just because they reached the Elite Eight, but also for how the team represented MSU.

The Spartans and Notre Dame are were the best teams in the Great Lake region all year, and he said this game proved that.

“There’s some patience to be learned here,” Rensing said. “(Clark’s) done it the right way, and he’s never changed because of it. Today (Notre Dame was) rewarded, and later on you’ll see Michigan State get rewarded. I’ve never been so proud of a team.”

Share and discuss “Men's soccer falls to Notre Dame in tourney” on social media.