Friday, September 20, 2024

Izzo displeased with high number of empty seats Monday

<p>Head coach Tom Izzo gestures to players during the game against Portland on Nov. 18, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Pilots, 82-67. Danyelle Morrow/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Izzo gestures to players during the game against Portland on Nov. 18, 2013, at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Pilots, 82-67. Danyelle Morrow/The State News

Tom Izzo has the best basketball team in the country, but he’s still not totally happy.

In the No. 1 MSU men’s basketball team’s 82-67 win against Portland Monday night, there were allegedly 14,797 fans there, but it didn’t seem like that many for Izzo. When the game tipped off, the stadium appeared to be two-thirds full, if that.

“Disappointment,” the head men’s basketball coach said when asked about his thoughts on the empty seats. “When you get a ranking, whether it’s deserved, we’re in a position that few Spartan fans have ever seen.“

Last Friday, MSU was down to Columbia at halftime, and Izzo credited the fans for winning them the game.

But Monday was a different story.

Much of the upper deck of The Breslin Center remained empty, and students were brought from the upper bowl to fill the lower bowl of the Izzone.

Izzo said this is a special honor to have the No. 1 team in the country, and it’s something that MSU fans should cherish.

“I’ve got no problem if you don’t want to come to a game, I have no problem at all,” Izzo said. “Give up your tickets, because I’ve got thousands of people that are dying to come.”

Izzo has always been one to support the fans.

After the student section was evacuated prior to the South Florida football game earlier this year, he promised to join the student body in the corner if they followed directions, and he kept his promise.

The fans that did show up were treated to a performance that Izzo called one of the best he’s ever seen since he became the head coach in 1995.

Senior guard Keith Appling tied his career high with 25, while also dishing out a team-high seven assists.

For Izzo, the band was still there and the players still played, but he just wants to see a little more support from the community that helped get the team to this level.

“Those are bought tickets, so give them to somebody,” he said. “Give them to me and I’ll get rid of them. That had an effect on a lot of people, not just me.”

Share and discuss “Izzo displeased with high number of empty seats Monday” on social media.