Sunday, May 12, 2024

Fall Saturdays more than just sports

Every single fall, there are certain rites of passage that one goes through that personify what it means to be a Spartan.

There’s no question that Spartan football games are one of the first true rites of passage for those attending the school or connected with the university in any way.

Luckily, I’ve had more opportunities than most to experience the moments that define Spartan Nation, specifically within the confines of a great stadium on one of the most picturesque campuses in the country.

The pageantry of Spartan Stadium only can be described as epic, and it hasn’t changed in the years I’ve been going to games.

Since I was about 9 years old, I’ve hardly missed a Spartan home football Saturday, and I certainly don’t plan on missing what’s sure to be a huge contest versus our neighbors to the south this Saturday.

Preparing for that game only takes me back to countless days on campus growing up.

I vividly remember making the short drive from Mason, Mich., up to East Lansing, fighting through gameday traffic to a parking spot near IM-Sports West.

Anticipation was always running high as we set up our chairs and waited to welcome friends and family from across the area, and from time to time, across the country. The day was filled with reunions both big and small.

Sometimes, a lot of people stopped by. Other times, the crowds were smaller, more intimate.

But, football still brought us together.

The games were an exciting affair, whether we were playing a preseason opponent like Central Michigan or a Big Ten power like Penn State.

My family’s routine remained pretty consistent — I always had to pick up a program, and I made sure my mom, dad, sister and I made it into the game to see the band charge onto the field.

It was exhilarating, and grew to be one of my favorite parts of every fall.

Such dedication inspired me to stay through the pouring rain, through heartwrenching losses and the relatively infrequent big home win.

Over time, I realized the games were about more than just football, and definitely more than just something to do on a Saturday.

They were a big part of my life — I looked forward to them more than anything throughout the entire week.

The fact that the stadium was so close to my home lent itself to even more excitement.

My high school friends and I talked constantly about Spartan football, the match-ups and the upcoming opponent. And my dad’s ties to the football program as a walk-on in the late 1970s made it all the more special to get the (very rare and occasional) piece of insight from a former program member.

The fact that my mom and her close circle of friends all graduated from the university only wound my ties to MSU more tightly. When home football contests came around, seeing the true friendships they formed during their time in school was touching and impressive.

That lent itself to a lot of Spartan-related introspection.

As an elementary and middle school student, I wondered what it would be like to attend football games as a student, and by extension, what it might be like to go to the university.

Campus seemed exciting, alive and full of life, particularly during big rivalry games.

In a way, all the time I spent on campus during football Saturdays made my college decision pretty easy.

I learned quickly about Spartan pride and passion, and although the MSU teams of old slipped up against the Wolverines and others, I always came back to them. After sticking with this team and university for so many years, I wouldn’t go out any other way — one of the last home games of my career as a student, against our greatest rivals.

With only so many home games left (and with my final chance to watch the Spartans play U-M at home), opportunities to sing the fight song and alma mater are dwindling. At one time, it seemed like I would be stuck in time — forever attending Spartan home games and going to MSU.

Now, those days are numbered. Graduation (and before that, the end of football season) are waiting, and there’s certainly nothing like attending an MSU football game or pregame tailgate as a student.

Add in the special atmosphere surrounding a tremendous game, and the magnitude is multiplied tenfold.

So on Saturday, although my parents won’t tailgate (a move to Florida makes that difficult), I’ll still take in the pregame atmosphere as a student. I’ll sing the fight song. I’ll watch the game.

And I’ll take one last post-Michigan stroll past ivy-covered halls — more slowly this time than any time before.

Beau Hayhoe is The State News managing editor. Reach him at bhayhoe@statenews.com.

Share and discuss “Fall Saturdays more than just sports” on social media.