Connor McCowan sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison

<p>Convicted murderer Connor McCowan gets emotional during his mother Judy&#8217;s statement at his sentencing hearing Nov. 6, 2013, at Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan was sentenced to 20-60 years in prison.</p>

Convicted murderer Connor McCowan gets emotional during his mother Judy’s statement at his sentencing hearing Nov. 6, 2013, at Ingham County Circuit Court in Lansing. McCowan was sentenced to 20-60 years in prison.

Photo by Danyelle Morrow | The State News

Okemos resident Connor McCowan was sentenced to a minimum of 20 years in prison Wednesday morning for the murder of MSU student Andrew Singler.

McCowan was convicted of second-degree murder last month for fatally stabbing Singler, his sister’s boyfriend, during an argument on Feb. 23 that came to physical blows.

Singler, 23, was left with two wounds in his heart and arm.

Defense attorney Chris Bergstrom asked Ingham County Circuit Court Judge Clinton Canady III to remain lenient on McCowan’s sentence. Bergstrom maintained McCowan acted in self-defense that night, fearing for his life after Singler struck him in the head.

Canady said McCowan’s intent to harm Singler was proven when he stood on Singler’s doorstep with an open flip blade.

“There was ample evidence that there was intent to inflict bodily harm on Andrew Singler,” Canady said. “I’m having a hard time fathoming how you work that into self-defense.”

McCowan and several family members on both sides read written statements before the verdict was given. Ayrn Singler-Maurer, Singler’s older sister, spoke to McCowan about how his choice to show up at Singler’s apartment changed the lives of her family members irreparably.

“I know that Connor won’t ever understand the pain that we continue to live with and will for the rest of our lives, but it at least needed to be spoken,” Singler-Maurer said following the sentencing. “He stole so many moments from our lives and from my brother, and will continue to steal them.”

McCowan and his mother, Judy McCowan, addressed their family as well as the Singlers. Several Singler family members became emotional during the McCowans’ statements and left the courtroom.

Connor McCowan expressed remorse and grief with his statements.

“Andrew was such a positive influence on my life, every day I wish I could trade places with him,” Connor McCowan said. “Going over to his apartment was the biggest mistake I’ve ever made.”

Connor McCowan could spend up to 60 years in prison. Bergstrom said he plans to appeal his case.

Share and discuss “Connor McCowan sentenced to minimum of 20 years in prison” on social media.