Monday, September 23, 2024

Mobile app would pair drinkers with drivers

A new smartphone application will attempt to cut down on drunk driving by having MSU students get rides from an unlikely resource — their fellow students.

Sobrio, which will begin offering regular rides this weekend, connects riders to drivers through the app’s interface. Users who need a ride after drinking a little too much can input their current location, desired destination, number of passengers and time to be picked up, and their request is sent out to Sobrio’s fleet of drivers, who the application’s creators claim are “fully-vetted.” Once a driver picks up their request, users can communicate through the app’s chat feature.

“It connects you to people who are already in this trusted, private network,” the app’s co-founder, Nadav Ullman said. “It really makes sure the person you’re connecting with is someone you feel comfortable with.”

The app first was implemented at the University of Connecticut last year — where the application’s founders attended — and since has expanded to several schools on the East Coast.

Both drivers and riders must register with an MSU email address, but drivers are subject to a criminal background check, car insurance validation and interview, Ullman said. He said drivers also must maintain an average of 90 percent positive reviews to stay in the community.

Sobrio’s website advertises that drivers can make up to $140 a night.

Although the drivers essentially perform the services of a taxi, Ullman said Sobrio’s drivers do not need the same qualifications as a taxi driver — namely, a chaffeur’s license — because Sobrio acts only as a platform to connect the two parties without forming any formal relationship.

“All the payments are based off suggested donations. The payments are not required,” Ullman said, noting that most drivers suggest $2-$3 per passenger. “Sobrio does not hire the driver, we merely vet them and allow them into the community.”

Because of this, reviews play a major component in the success of the Sobrio community and its business model.

While riders review drivers, drivers also can review their passengers, meaning opting not to pay could result in a bad rider review. Through mandatory Facebook integration, users’ names and profile pictures are all that accompany reviews, and a series of negative reviews could lead to not being picked up.

Sobrio’s business model revolves around these donations, which are conducted electronically within the app and link riders’ credit cards to drivers’ bank accounts. A 10 percent processing fee from these transactions forms the basis of the company’s revenue.

East Lansing requires taxi drivers to obtain a taxicab driver license from the city in order to operate legally. The application process requires both a criminal background check and drug test. Ullman said Sobrio’s drivers will not need to apply for the license.

But Sobrio drivers might not be necessarily exempt from city ordinance, East Lansing Planning, Building and Development Director Tim Dempsey said.

“It could potentially create an issue,” Dempsey said. “If, for instance, we had a couple (drivers) who were regulars and they were getting enough donations where it was motivating them financially, we’d probably argue that qualifies as a business.”

The app appears to be receiving significant demand from the MSU community. Ullman said the company conducted a test period last weekend and received more than 100 ride requests.

Prenursing sophomore Anna Solomon said the app seems like a welcome taxi alternative.

“(The app sounds) so much more reliable,” Solomon said. “I would use (the app) all the time.

Share and discuss “Mobile app would pair drinkers with drivers ” on social media.