Greek life: new beginnings after Rush weeks

<p>Christian Rafael Suero</p>

Christian Rafael Suero

Recruitment, an 11-letter word and a process that takes less than 11 days in the greek community.

Men’s formal recruitment started last month, and women’s recruitment was a two-weekend process that ended last week. Men spent hours visiting fraternities in the Interfraternity Council and women had the chance to go to all 14 sororities in the Panhellenic Council — a process that lasted from early morning to late afternoon.

So what does going greek actually mean? What’s it like taking the plunge and pledging?

For some, it can be scary.

“There is always the possibility that as I continue through my pledge semester, I will realize that the house isn’t a good fit for me or that I don’t have the time necessary to do what is expected of me,” said international relations sophomore Andrew Williams, who is pledging at Delta Sigma Phi.

“However, even though my pledge semester has just begun, I can already tell from the brothers that I’ve spoken with and the interactions I’ve had with my pledge class that this is the house for me.

“My biggest hope for going greek is that I will look back on the decision I made during Rush week and know that it was the right one.”

For others, the time spent meant finding a place at a university with more than 48,000 students.

“I graduated with a large class and a good majority came to MSU with me. There is what you call a ‘Troy Bubble’ that I wanted to branch away from and meet new people now that I am in college,” said Brittany Liposky, a Kappa Alpha Theta sorority member and interdisciplinary studies in social science senior.

“Going greek seemed like the best option to do just that.”

I decided to go greek for similar reasons. I came from a small high school in Grand Rapids and wanted to explore something new. As I went through rush, I realized it tested my skills in interacting with others.

As I learned more about the different fraternities, I found myself having to explain who I was as a person.

Interacting with strangers who soon became my brothers helped me develop the skills needed in the workforce — being able to have good eye contact, have a great handshake and to communicate with strangers.

And even though I had to sell myself, I knew going greek would be a great choice because of all the future possibilities: volunteer work, community service, social networking and, most important for me, finding a brotherhood.

Maybe this is why individuals decide to go greek.

Instead of joining multiple organizations, they are able to join greek life and get a package deal.

You can argue that going through greek life recruitment is a good or bad thing, but one thing is certain: go do something.

For the students who are not pledging this semester and do not plan on joining a fraternity or sorority, MSU has more than 500 clubs ranging from philanthropies and community service, to video gamers and a club for almost all majors.

Get involved and make the most of these Spartan years.

As you enter this new world called college, do not be scared.

For four to five years of your life you will be finding new friends, finding the right degree and, most importantly, trying to find yourself as a person.

The first advice I will say is to get involved with an organization on campus, whether that means joining a sorority, a fraternity or a club.

Even though you have four years to figure out your “life plan,” most of us upperclassmen will say either, “We got involved with organizations way too late in our college lives,” or, “Do not take your college years for granted.”

So put yourself out there, and get involved today.

Christian Rafael Suero is vice president of administration of the Interfraternity Council.

Share and discuss “Greek life: new beginnings after Rush weeks” on social media.