Friday, September 20, 2024

Bill could increase penalties for drivers who injure cyclists, pedestrians

Proponents of a new bill moving through Michigan’s House of Representatives are looking to increase the penalties on drivers who injure or kill pedestrians and cyclists.

The proposed legislation, sponsored by Rep. Ed McBroom, R-Vulcan, would amend a current law which details the punishments for moving violations that result in criminal penalties for drivers who hit agricultural equipment operators on Michigan’s roads.

The current law states a moving violation with criminal penalties that results in the injury of a person operating agricultural equipment is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $1,000 or less, up to one year of jail time or both. Penalties for causing death would result in up to 15 years in prison, a $7,500 fine or both.

The proposed amendment would add the term “vulnerable roadway user” to the current law, extending these penalties to drivers who strike pedestrians, cyclists or operators of small electric transportation devices such as wheelchairs.

Under current legislation, drivers can face up to 93 days in jail and up to $500 in fines for a moving violation resulting in serious injury. A moving violation causing death could result in up to one year in jail and up to $2,000 in fines.

McBroom said the amendment would put pedestrians, cyclists and wheelchair users into the same category of legal protection as road construction workers.

“I hope (the bill) gives the law enforcement an additional tool so that crimes against vulnerable road users don’t go unpunished,” McBroom said. ”(It shows that) there is a penalty for folks who are very careless around cyclists and other road users.”

In East Lansing, there were 161 accidents involving cars and bicyclists that resulted in injuries between 2004 and 2012, according to crash data compiled by the Office of Highway Safety Planning.

There were 96 accidents with injuries between pedestrians and cars in that same time period, five of which were fatal.

MSU police were not immediately available for comment on McBroom’s bill as of press time, but in previous interviews with The State News, officers said there are steps commuters can take to lower their risk of an accident.

“Some bicyclists ride carelessly while riding at night and don’t have a headlight or reflector,” MSU police Lt. Randy Holton said. “We encourage some type of light device because you can’t see them at night, especially when they’re flying into roadways.”

Because riding bicycles on MSU’s sidewalks is technically illegal, cyclists who are hit by cars while riding their bikes through crosswalks are not afforded the same protections as pedestrians unless they choose to walk their bikes, police said.

The bill has been moved out of the House Criminal Justice Committee, and next faces a vote on the floor of the House.

MSU students interviewed about the bill were somewhat indifferent about the protections the bill would offer.

“I just would like the fact that if someone got hurt or died, that person would be paying for what they did, instead of just spending a little time in jail,” hospitality business freshman Emma Rulison said.

Biomedical laboratory science junior Erik Blackowicz said the bill wouldn’t change how he approached commuting on campus.

“Honestly, it would be worse for people driving because it would be more of a risk,” Blackowicz said.

Staff reporter Katie Abdilla contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Bill could increase penalties for drivers who injure cyclists, pedestrians” on social media.