Monday, May 13, 2024

Singer, actress and philanthropist performs at Mac's Bar

Singer and philanthropist Caitlin Crosby was in town at Mac’s Bar this past weekend to perform and talk about her charity efforts.

Singer, songwriter, actress and philanthropist Caitlin Crosby painted an ariose atmosphere around the gritty edge of Mac’s Bar with her gentle ballads on Friday.

Crosby performed songs from her most recent extended play album, “Save that Pillow,” which is a small collection of songs for an upcoming full album.

“‘Save that Pillow’ is about encouraging girls not to give it up so easily to guys who don’t really care about them or who aren’t committed to them in any way,” Crosby said. “When you watch these things on TV and in movies, the lighting and the music make it look sexy, but in reality it’s not that way and it can actually hurt people.”

Crosby first began singing professionally in high school after winning a contest on KIIS FM in Los Angeles to be in an all-girls group produced by the singer and producer Babyface.

“I did that for four years and then I left because of a really bad situation,” Crosby said, adding that she is not comfortable talking about the situation. “After I left the group, I didn’t want to be in the music industry anymore so I went back to school and I went back to doing acting.”

Crosby made her acting debut in the film “American President” with Michael Douglas, and has made appearances in several TV shows, such as “That ’70s Show,” “7th Heaven,” “The Hard Times of RJ Berger” and “Malcolm in the Middle.”

After taking a hiatus from singing, Crosby found her way back to music lyrically through writing on issues she cares about.

“A few years later, I started writing music again and I just focused on issues that I’m passionate about,” Crosby said. “I definitely feel more passionate about the music because I just love writing.”

In addition to acting and singing, Crosby has launched her own charity jewelry line, The Giving Keys, which helps fund people who are transitioning out of being homeless.

“I pay those who are trying to transition out of homelessness to engrave old used keys with inspiring words like hope, love, dream, believe, inspire, faith,” Crosby said. “Now, we’ve gotten five people off the street completely and seven people in transition.”

Crosby said the idea for the line started small, with her making the keys herself, to inspire her fans while on tour, and has developed into something much larger with a bigger purpose.

Crosby said the point of The Giving Keys is to wear it, own the word engraved and then pass it on to someone else who needs it.

“You have to give it away to someone you feel needs the message on the key and then you go back to the website and blog the story for why you gave the necklace away,” Crosby said. “There are beautiful stories of the keys being passed around the world.”

Acoustic artist Jesse Ruben accompanied Crosby during their stop in Lansing for the We Can tour, which started two weeks ago.

Ruben said he enjoys the writing part of being a musician and performing in front of an intimate crowd.

“I only started singing because that’s the only way to have people hear the songs that you write,” Ruben said. “But, when you’re playing for people who don’t know who you are, you have to be personable, otherwise they’ll just continue not caring.”

Opening for Crosby and Ruben was the young vocalist Taylor Taylor of Lansing and alumnus Alex Mendenall.

Share and discuss “Singer, actress and philanthropist performs at Mac's Bar” on social media.