Monday, September 23, 2024

ROTC boot camp provides glimpse into training

Members of the MSU ROTC and MSU College Democrats and College Republicans discuss the significance of events on September 11th at the university.

It might not be basic training, but Wednesday at Demonstration Hall, students and residents of East Lansing got a glimpse into the life of an ROTC cadet.

As part of the One Book, One Community program, students and residents participated in Boot Camp 101. The One Book, One Community novel this year was “The Yellow Birds” by Iraq veteran Kevin Powers, which highlights the lives of two soldiers in Iraq.

As part of Boot Camp 101, students and residents could observe the sleeping quarters of a solider at war, try a push-up and sit-up competition, go on a rope course or see a live action drill.

Lt. Col. Bill Parker, is chair of the Department of Military Science, said he appreciates the opportunity to showcase the daily lives of ROTC cadets.

“Ultimately, we want people to take away an appreciation for what our cadets go through,” Parker said. “This is a good opportunity for us to highlight some of the training our cadets go through.”

Kinesiology senior Alex Shaffer, who also is the ROTC battalion commander, was excited to see ROTC involved with One Book, One Community for this interactive event.

“We were really happy to see that One Book, One Community wanted to focus on the military,” Shaffer said. “Because we are two sponsored MSU programs, we are happy that we got to work in conjunction.”

Doug Mulvaney, scholarship and enrollment coordinator for ROTC, called the event a “win-win,” but encouraged people to look past the physical tests and equipment on display and explore what qualities the cadets gain from ROTC.

“What the cadets learn in discipline and leadership go beyond how many push-up and sit-ups they can do,” he said. “It’s the decision-making skills that they learn that I think sets them apart from other students.”

Human biology and nutritional science junior Ariana Koch said in addition to being able to try the rope course, an appreciation for the military is what brought her to the event.

“My dad is a Marine, so the idea of getting to try bootcamp was very appealing to me.” she said.

Koch said the event gave her a better idea of the daily life of ROTC students.

“The idea that they do this (rope course) everyday is not something I expected,” she said. “You think it would be a little less intense because they aren’t at a base, but in reality they do just as much.”

Share and discuss “ROTC boot camp provides glimpse into training” on social media.