MSU hosts Rock Camp for teenagers

MSU Community Music School’s, or CMS, “Rock Camp” will be giving teens, ages 11-18, the ultimate gig: a chance to perform among the big names at the Common Ground Music Festival on July 13.

Rock Camp is a weeklong summer camp, held from July 8-13, that will provide students with training from a band that has toured nationally: The Outer Vibe.

MSU alumna Lisa Kacos is a member of The Outer Vibe and Rock Camp coach. She said she has learned a lot about the music business during the years and aims to share as much as she can with the campers.

“Rock Camp is a crash course in learning how to be a band,” Kacos said. “A lot of the camp is geared toward preparing for the final performance at Common Ground (Music) Festival, but we alternate rehearsals with classes such as songwriting, rock history, marketing and promotion and how to book a gig.”

Amanda Darche, MSU CMS communications coordinator, said this is Rock Camp’s fifth successful year and this year’s time slot is one that will be more beneficial to the campers.

“This year, the campers are performing at the free matinee show on Saturday,” Darche said. “It’s a real benefit to the campers and their friends and family because now they can invite as many people as they want and they can attend the show for free.”

Although the camp only runs for a week, Darche said the campers accomplish a great deal and learn things that they’ll be able to take with them after the camp is complete.

“They do an incredible amount of work over the short period of time that they’re here,” said Darche. “They get ready for a real gig, and it’s really exciting to watch it all come together.”

Rock camper Grant Price, 15, of Woodstock, Ga., has been involved in Rock Camp for the past three years and said it has been great experience.

“You get assigned to a band, and you learn to bond with the people in your band,” Price said. “We kind of learn from one another … they just really help you to learn different things and other music styles that you’re not usually used to playing.”

Price said this year he’s looking forward to the same thing he’s always enjoyed about Rock Camp.
“I’m looking forward to … jamming out with a bunch of kids and, at the end of the week, going to the music festival,” he said.

Rock Camp has spots open for anyone between the ages of 11 and 18 who would like to join.
To enroll, please contact the MSU Community Music School at (517) 355-7661 or visit them on the web at www.cms.msu.edu

Share and discuss “MSU hosts Rock Camp for teenagers” on social media.