Sunday, October 6, 2024

Students take advantage of food cart ordinance

<p>East Lansing resident Dudley Smith, left, talks with biochemistry and molecular biology junior Mac Hyman, middle, and food industry management senior Nino Rabhi, right May 11, 2013, at the Spicers Grill food cart on Albert Avenue and Division Street. Rabhi said the grill will mainly stay at Albert Avenue and Division Street, but will move to other locations in East Lansing. Weston Brooks/The State News</p>

East Lansing resident Dudley Smith, left, talks with biochemistry and molecular biology junior Mac Hyman, middle, and food industry management senior Nino Rabhi, right May 11, 2013, at the Spicers Grill food cart on Albert Avenue and Division Street. Rabhi said the grill will mainly stay at Albert Avenue and Division Street, but will move to other locations in East Lansing. Weston Brooks/The State News

Beneath the shadow of a colorful East Lansing parking garage lay a smorgasbord of North African cuisine.

Spicers Grill, located near the southwest corner of Albert Avenue and Division Street, offers a unique twist on the merguez, a sausage composed of halal meat such as beef and lamb. The sausage is mixed with options of spicy harissa sauces such as ketchup, citrus, mayonnaise, dijon mustard or pure harissa with lime.

Yacine Rabhi, a food industry management senior and the owner of Spicers, established the grill planning diverse and healthy food options to downtown East Lansing area.

“I’ve had this idea for about four years now,“ Rabhi said. “My dad is from Algeria, and that’s where it originated. This is what they eat over there — like hot dogs, but it’s nothing like a hot dog.“

The policy revision allowing food carts in East Lansing was approved by the East Lansing City Council in April 2012 for several locations throughout the city. Rabhi acquired the Spicers food cart last year and spent the past year preparing and receiving permission from the city.

Rabhi said he anticipates adding new options to the menu including grilled peppers, onions, gouda cheese and various kabob combinations before MSU’s football season kicks off Aug. 30.

“I don’t have that much money, and when I’m looking for something to eat, there aren’t too many options for under $5 unless it’s really bad food,” he said. “We wanted to bring a healthy option for students who don’t have that much money.”

In addition to Rabhi, the business is run by 10 of his closest friends, which includes psychology senior Jake Berry.

Berry said the business’ founding has been a long time coming given the amount of work it required to get the business off the ground. One of the cooks, Berry said he has been cooking the merguez since May 4 and offering free samples to bystanders — garnering a lot of positive feedback in the process.

Human biology senior Rachel Kelps said the food’s diversity is bold and refreshing for the area.

“It is about time a new kind of food was brought to East Lansing,” Kelps said. “It is new, it is fresh and it is very good food.”

However, not all feedback of the new business was as rosy.
Seth Tompkins, owner of What Up Dawg?, 317 M.A.C. Ave., said Spicers Grill likely will conflict with surrounding food businesses.

Currently, What Up Dawg? has a food cart on the corner of Washington Avenue and Ottawa Street in downtown Lansing, operating Monday to Thursday during lunch hours. Tompkins expressed discontent that the local government has a lack of concern for its businesses, explaining how independent food carts cause an uphill battle for area businesses.

“I do love the city of East Lansing — that is why I put my business here,” Tompkins said. “I just wish they were more consistent with what they do. They don’t treat all businesses the same … and it makes doing business difficult.”

Share and discuss “Students take advantage of food cart ordinance” on social media.