Medical students celebrate being paired with hospitals

Photo by Justin Wan | The State News

For months, medical student David Ortiz has had to put his life on hold.

Preparing to possibly move across the country and not knowing where he would live were just some of the concerns he faced as he waited to open a letter holding the next step in his career.

As Ortiz opened an envelope Friday during the Match Day luncheon at the University Club, a world of stress fell off of his shoulders. He was placed at the University of Minnesota to continue his residency.

“We can start looking for a new place to live in (and) start looking into what we’re going to do as a family,” Ortiz said. “Everything changes today.”

Many fourth-year medical students from MSU’s College of Human Medicine were in similar positions. As the envelopes were distributed, a buzz of emotion filled the room. Tears of both joy and sadness were shed — not everyone got their top choice. Although MSU can’t release information on how many students got their top choice, there were many ecstatic faces in the room.

Medical student Katie Rose Flannery, who will be completing her residency in emergency medicine at a Henry Ford medical center, was incredibly excited upon opening her envelope. Henry Ford was her first choice, and she will be taking part in a three-year residency program.

“It’s a lot of hard work to get here, but when you get down to it, you kind of just have to trust in the process,” she said.

Medical student Carmen Fong was placed at Beth Israel Medical Center — her top choice — where she is working toward her goal of becoming a surgeon.

“This morning I wasn’t sure if I was going to throw up or pass out, but I’m totally fine now,” Fong said.

The students began looking at schools last summer, director of clinical student programs Karlene Torres said.

“This is the grand finale,” she said. “Most of them are happy (but) some are upset because they rank programs and they might not get their top choice.”

Share and discuss “Medical students celebrate being paired with hospitals” on social media.