Hidden on campus

<p>Tree disks sit on tables in a greenhouse Jan. 23, 2013, at the Tree Research Center. The disks, called &#8220;cookies&#8221; by some of the researchers, will help with biometrical research. Julia Nagy/The State News</p>

Tree disks sit on tables in a greenhouse Jan. 23, 2013, at the Tree Research Center. The disks, called “cookies” by some of the researchers, will help with biometrical research. Julia Nagy/The State News

For many students, the facilities located south of Mount Hope Road are unknown. But there are many research sites south of main campus where MSU students and faculty are learning and conducting research.

Horse Teaching and Research Center
3327 Collins Road, in Lansing
Everything at the Horse Teaching and Research Center is run by students from breeding and delivering the horse, to feeding and taking care of it and then the sale.

There are about 85 horses at the center, animal science professor John Shelle said.

The site also is home to one of the oldest Arabian horse breeding programs in the U.S.
Shelle said there are many opportunities in the horse business, and the center allows students to prepare for work there.

Tree Research Center
5640 E. Jolly Road, in Lansing
Another site open to students is the Tree Research Center, which houses two greenhouses, one nursery and field plantations. MSU researchers use the center, and classes and labs are held there for students — mostly forestry majors.

Paul Bloese, tree improvement supervisor for the Tree Research Center, said the center houses relatively small trees inside and larger trees in the fields.

Visitors are welcome from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday, and can schedule a tour by calling 517-353-2036.

Sheep Teaching and Research Center
3885 Hagadorn Road, in Okemos
The Sheep Teaching and Research Center gives students in mainly animal science and agribusiness management majors the opportunity to gain hands-on experience working with sheep. Classes and research projects are held at the center, which includes a classroom.

Alan Culham, manager of the Sheep Teaching and Research Center, said the center has held up to about 500 sheep. Culham said agriculture-related majors — especially those trained to work with new farming equipment — are in high demand in Michigan, which increases the relevance and importance of the Sheep Teaching and Research Center.

Students are welcome to visit the sheep barn from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

MSU Observatory
4299 Pavilion Drive, in Lansing
MSU also is home to a 0.6 meter telescope at the MSU Observatory south of main campus. The building was mostly completed in 1969, and has undergone changes and additions since then, according to the MSU Observatory’s website.

Observations of the Halley’s comet and the close approach of Mars in 2003 attracted many viewers to the observatory. There are no dates scheduled yet for the MSU Observatory’s free Public Observing Nights.

View Places on MSU’s campus in a larger map

Share and discuss “Hidden on campus” on social media.