Bailey Hall introduces year-round hoophouse

Horticulture junior and member of the Student Leadership Team Charles Defever picks a sample of plants Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, at the Bailey GREENhouse in the Brody Neighborhood.
Horticulture junior and member of the Student Leadership Team Charles Defever picks a sample of plants Tuesday, Oct. 30, 2012, at the Bailey GREENhouse in the Brody Neighborhood. —
Photo by Adam Toolin | and Adam Toolin The State News

Armed with pruning shears instead of scissors, the creators of the Bailey GREENhouse snipped a vine to signify the opening of the sustainable hoophouse outside Bailey Hall Tuesday evening.

The hoophouse, which features technology allowing it to function year-round, will use kitchen scraps from Brody Square to fertilize the soil while growing herbs used in the meals served in the dining hall.

“By having the herbs here it shows the closing of the cycle of food,” Culinary Services Sustainability Officer Carla Iansiti said. “That’s what the students enjoy … (the GREENhouse) shows the relationship — that’s the benefit.

Yakeley Hall’s cafeteria has been partnering with the Student Organic Farm since 2008 to provide sustainable food for hungry students — a project that planted the seed for the Bailey GREENhouse.

When Brody Complex Neighborhood began undergoing renovations in May of 2011, Residential and Hospitality Services Sustainability Manager Diane Barker said it was the perfect opportunity to provide the Residential Initiative on the Study of the Environment, or RISE, opportunities to get their hands dirty.

While Emmons Hall, the first to be renovated didn’t have the ideal location for the hoophouse, but Bailey served as the perfect location, with lots of light and space for the structure.

“It seemed like a logical choice … as we got into the planning of this whole process, it became a reality and it was a vision that was painted as to what the opportunities are for this area,” Barker said. “All those linkages were there and it was a great opportunity.”

Now, the GREENhouse is a way for students to get involved in multiple aspects of growing such as nutrient cycling, composting, soil health and food safety.

Iansiti also said the vegetables grown in the hoophouse will vary by the season, and will be used in cooking demonstrations for students.

“It’s good experience to have,” art history and visual freshman and RISE participant Allison Stawara said. “I think it will show students where food comes from and give them a better sense of the process it goes through. This is a better way of going about it than large-scale agriculture.”’

Share and discuss “Bailey Hall introduces year-round hoophouse” on social media.