Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Broad Art Museum hosts children’s event

East Lansing residents Daniela, left, 5-year-old Nina and 6-year-old Matthew Vanotteren color on a large piece of paper that will help build the Broad Art Museum float on Saturday afternoon, Sept. 8, 2012 at the former Barnes & Noble in downtown East Lansing. The Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum Family Day focused on creative projects. Natalie Kolb/The State News

Students who walked past the former Barnes and Noble, 333 E. Grand River Ave., did not see an empty building on Saturday, but rather a room filled with families bonding through art.

The Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum hosted Family Day for children and parents to engage in art activities, including helping build the museum’s homecoming parade float.

Professional teaching artists and Students for the Broad Art Museum members, a group created to promote the museum and responsible for creating the museum’s parade float, guided children in painting stamps and drawing on large poster boards.

Alison Gass, the” Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum “:http://broadmuseum.msu.edu/index.php?homecurator of contemporary art, said the space was donated for the event and is a good location because it is close to the museum, which is slated to open Nov. 9.

“Another way we can be a part of the community is to activate these spaces, like Barnes and Noble, that have been sitting empty,” Gass said.

East Lansing resident Julia Meyers, 10, came to the event with family members and said she enjoyed the stamp making and is looking forward to visiting the museum.

After the positive feedback from Family Day, Gass said the museum is considering introducing Families at the Broad, where families could create art similar to pieces in the museum the first Saturday of each month.

“The idea is that we will always have programs for kids,” Gass said. “It seems like this is something families are really wanting.”

Tatum Walker, an art history and visual culture senior and intern for the Eli and Edythe Broad Art Museum’s director of education, said children and parents enjoyed Family Day.

“It’s a great activity for families to come together (and be) involved in the process of art making,” Walker said. “(It’s) a collaborative effort between family members to do some bonding over art, (and) everybody could use a little art in their life.”

Share and discuss “Broad Art Museum hosts children’s event” on social media.