Friday, September 20, 2024

MSU Police, SADD talk drunken driving

The MSU Police Department and Spartans Against Drunk Driving were out by the rock on Farm Lane on Wednesday. They passed out cab cards and talked to passing students to help raise awareness of the dangers of drunken driving.

Family community services junior Nikki Noel believes drinking and driving is one of the most preventable causes of death, yet in 2010 there were more than 600 DUIs given out by the East Lansing Police Department — an increase of nearly 200 from 2009.

Noel is a member of Spartans Against Drunk Driving, or SADD, and Wednesday they joined MSU Police near the rock on Farm Lane to help raise awareness of the consequences of drunken driving.

“There’s so many other options and different ways of transportation,” Noel said. “It’s so preventable, and I just don’t see a point of doing it.”

SADD was joined by members of the MSU Police Department, including MSU police Lt. Randy Holton. A car totaled from a drunken driving accident was on display, and members of SADD handed out cards with cab numbers to students as they walked by.

Holton said drinking and driving creates an unsafe environment for all drivers.

“We’re not saying it’s not OK to drink,” Holton said. “We want people to drink responsibly, and if you’ve been drinking, go ahead and use a different form of transportation.”

Criminal justice sophomore Caitlin Berry, a member of SADD, said she had a family friend die after drinking and driving.

Berry said her friend turned a corner, hit a tree and rolled into the next lane, killing a family of four and himself.

“It made me realize there are a lot of stupid decisions (made) out there, and it’s one I don’t want to make,” Berry said.

Journalism freshman Micayla Cummings said her first experience drinking was so bad she decided to not drink again. She was walking past the event Wednesday and decided to join SADD because of her prior experiences with alcohol.

Cummings said she has lost a friend to alcohol poisoning and a couple other friends to drunken driving.

“There is a time and place for everything, and students should live their lives the way they should but wait until the appropriate age to engage in drinking or anything that may harm their lives,” Cummings said.

Holton said he stresses students should have a plan when they decide to drink. When going out, Holton said to use a cab, bus or to find a safe place to spend the night.

When going out, Holton said he tries to promote responsibility to avoid severe consequences.

Michigan’s current blood alcohol limit when driving is .08, and penalties might include a suspended license for six months up to a year of jail time or fines.

“Your license would be suspended, insurance rates will go up and employers are now looking at that stuff,” he said. “If you have a couple people applying for the same job, and they see one person with a clean record and someone else with a drunken driving arrest on their record, who do you think the employer’s going to take?”

Share and discuss “MSU Police, SADD talk drunken driving” on social media.