Saturday, May 4, 2024

Locals encourage fair trade

Jeff Goldman, executive director of the Fair Trade Resource Network, gives a speech on fair trade Tuesday at the International Center, East Lansing. The Michigan State University Students for Fair Trade Club flew Goldman in from Washington DC specifically for the Fair Trade Bash. Jaclyn McNeal/The State News

With fair trade goods and programs lining a room in the International Center, local fair trade enthusiasts and curious students had their eyes glued to Jeff Goldman, the executive director of the Fair Trade Resource Network, as he spoke during the MSU Students for Fair Trade Club’s Fair Trade Bash on Tuesday at the International Center.

Goldman read one of his favorite quotes about fair trade by Gisele Fleurant, director of the Committee for Haitian Artisans, during the event.

“‘Fair trade means that Haitians and others around the world can have a better life, have a better vision of themselves, can stand on their own two feet,’” Goldman said.

Comparative cultures and politics sophomore Seneca McKinzie, co-president of MSU’s Students for Fair Trade Club, said the event was aimed to educate the community about what fair trade is and how to find it.

About 40 students and vendors attended.

She said fair trade is a set of standards companies can follow that incorporates environmentally friendly production as well as rights for workers and producers.

“I really think it would surprise people there are that many (fair trade) options,” McKinzie said.

She said that while most people can’t live only on fair trade products, items such as furniture, clothing and food often have fair trade equivalents.

“There are options,” McKinzie said. “You just have to look for them.”

Representatives from local fair trade businesses Wanderer’s Teahouse and Cafe, 547 E. Grand River Ave., and Kirabo, 225 E. Grand River Ave., attended and contributed to the event along with organizations such as the MSU International Justice Mission.

“We want to get a higher percent of the price of the good in the hands of the (producers),” Kirabo owner Gail Catron said.

Catron was selling products including handmade jewelry, instruments and clothing and demonstrated the use of a singing bowl from Nepal.

McKinzie said fair trade often is confused with the concept of free trade.

“(Free trade is) basically open trade between countries, but not focusing on the people,” McKinzie said.

Communication junior Rebecca Gidley found out about the fair trade event through one of her
classes and attended in hopes of learning more.

“It’s one of those things that when you learn about it and you know about it, then when you see it next time, you’re more likely to choose something fair trade over something that’s not,” Gidley said.

Catron had similar thoughts on the subject and said prices for fair trade products are not always as high as many believe they are.

While food products pay a bit more to be fair trade certified, many craft products are cheaper, considering they are handmade.

“When you shop fair trade, the artisan who made the product earns between 28 to 40 percent of what you pay,” Catron said.

Catron said producers of products in many regular retail stores only receive about 2 percent of the price.

“I hope (the audience) walks away with a sense of knowing what fair trade is and … aspire to buy a few more products that are fair trade,” McKinzie said.

Share and discuss “Locals encourage fair trade” on social media.