Justice for all, even Zimmerman

<p>Joyce</p>

Joyce

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

On Feb. 26, an event occurred that proves racism still is alive and well in this country. It also reaffirms some negative aspects of human character. The shooting of Trayvon Martin is a very unique case. Not because a murder happened, but because it has taken the shape of a witch hunt. I believe far too many problems today are blamed on racism, so I hesitate to do the same.

However, I cannot find any other reason why there are so many people up in arms and ready to attack George Zimmerman for this alleged murder.

Recently, I was reading a book by T. H. Watkins that details many social aspects of the Great Depression. One anecdote details the trial and outrage surrounding nine black males after they were wrongfully accused of rape after riding a freight train. Although it was obvious these charges were absurd and motivated by some scorned white men whom the black men had fought on the train, the town in which these black men were jailed was so convinced of their guilt that they wanted to lynch them as soon as they were arrested. Only after the National Guard drove away the mob did these men receive an absurd trial for which they all were sentenced to the death penalty. It was a travesty of justice.

When reading this, I immediately thought of this controversy. Although the scenario is not as clear cut, I easily can compare the public contempt the country has for Zimmerman. I understand the suspicion surrounding his story, but the attention and condemnation this is receiving is larger than that of a standard murder.

Would this outcry be happening if a black man shot a white man? Would it be called a hate crime? If we truly are the nonracial society many people would like to pretend we are, then this case should be no different than those two hypothetical cases.

The reason so many people are up in arms over this case is not because it is simply a murder: that crime is far too common for most Americans to pay attention to. Instead, it is because a Hispanic man and a black youth are involved.

It was reported by NBC that Zimmerman said in his 911 call, “This guy looks like he’s up to no good … he looks black,” when he actually only remarked on Martin’s race after he was asked. Only Zimmerman knows if race was his motive, but judging by the 911 phone call, it was not.

I don’t know enough facts about what happened that night — and neither does anyone else. I know Zimmerman saw Martin and suspected he might have been on or had drugs. Based on this suspicion, he followed Martin with the intent to find an address to give to police in the case of an emergency. It is not fair to say he did not hunt him down as many supporters of Martin claim. Only Zimmerman knows why he followed Martin.

From that point, Zimmerman claims he was confronted by Martin and had his nose broken and head beaten. The police footage of Zimmerman at the police station does not reveal any injuries, but that video was grainy and was after he received first aid. Two of the three eyewitnesses back up Zimmerman’s story; non-eyewitnesses back up Martin’s, an interesting fact worth considering.

I am not defending Zimmerman. However, I do write on his behalf demanding he be treated as any other citizen of the U.S. Those who claim Martin is not receiving justice because he is black or because this is a crime against a minority need to remember that Zimmerman too is a minority. Claiming that he is being given special privileges under the law based on his race is ridiculous; Hispanics endure as much inequality today as almost any other minority.

Before people demand “justice for Trayvon,” they should remember what justice means. As I have written before, justice is in the eye of the beholder; it is different for each person. What likely could happen is Zimmerman could be arrested, charged, tried before a jury, and due to the murky evidence, walk away with voluntary manslaughter with some jail time, likely less than Martin’s advocates demand. Alternatively, none of this could happen and Martin’s death could go unpunished. Although that might outrage many, in our country, that is justice through our legal system.

George Zimmerman has not been given the presumption of innocence due to all U.S. citizens; he already has been judged. Even if Zimmerman is never convicted, he will now spend the rest of his life as a criminal, with bars or without. There should be justice for Trayvon. There should be justice for George.

Jameson Joyce is a State News guest columnist and James Madison freshman. Reach him at joyceja1@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Justice for all, even Zimmerman” on social media.