Tuesday, September 24, 2024

City council votes to pass casino plans through

Lansing — Forging ahead even as state leaders have vowed to kill the project, Lansing City Council members moved forward with plans to build a casino downtown, seeking to fund schools and boost the city’s economy.

Although a timeline still is not clear for the project, council members reluctantly passed measures in a vote that would allocate land for the structure, which is slated to be attached to the Lansing Center on Michigan Avenue.

Although the project likely will face a hard road to being implemented — the proposal must be passed by the state Legislature, Gov. Rick Snyder and the Department of the Interior — the move unifies local leaders in support behind Mayor Virg Bernero.

“I’d like to thank you, the city council, for making history tonight,” Bernero said. “We all know there’s a certain leap of faith, but tonight we’ve put our best foot forward.”

The package of legislative measures passed with a clear majority, the most major of which tallied 7-1.

Council members largely were reluctant of some of the plan’s details, as it was presented in an all-or-nothing package, but most felt the plan as a whole would have positive economic outcomes.

“I really appeal to the mayor (at) this time to say we need to be in on these discussions,” at-large member Carol Wood said.

Emotions ran high as area residents young and old flooded Lansing City Hall, 124 W. Michigan Ave., on the night of a decision that either would have moved forward or killed the effort to build a casino in downtown Lansing in partnership with Sault Ste. Marie Tribe of Chippewa Indians, an issue that has proved to be divisive in the city and across the state.

A majority of the nearly 50 speakers came to show support for the plan, touting what they believe will be vast economic benefits for the city, while others said the idea is just smoke and mirrors.

Supporters, which included many business and economic leaders, said the project would bring more than a thousand jobs directly and many others from economic spinoff.

The mayor has said $6 million of the casino’s estimated $250 million annual revenue would go toward creating a Lansing Promise Scholarship, which would give full four-year scholarships to any Michigan public university for students who graduate from the Lansing School District, similar to the Kalamazoo Promise Scholarship.

“They’re seeing the potential of Lansing’s existing workforce, and the potential of Lansing’s future workforce and it’s students,” Lansing resident Andrea Ragan said of the plan’s supporters.

Bernero has spearheaded the campaign, facing an uphill battle against Snyder and Attorney General Bill Schuette, who have vowed to do whatever it takes to stop the project.

Some community members tried to stress what they feel is a political reality during Monday’s meeting.

“As soon as this passes … there’s going to be a federal lawsuit by the state and a federal lawsuit by the Indian Tribes.” Lansing resident Bob Ruigh said. “We’re going to be in litigation for 11 years with absolutely nothing happening.”

Share and discuss “City council votes to pass casino plans through” on social media.