Monday, October 28, 2024

Nachofest issued police citation, founders push it's 'not like Cedar Fest'

The 8th NachoFest at MSU brought students and people from all over to enjoy a day of drinking, nachos and sombreros for this newfound tradition. It took place from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday on 542 Evergreen Ave.. The theme was “Jackson Cinco,” and featured wigs for all attendees to wear during the festival.

Beer, food and Spartan pride aplenty — NachoFest has morphed into an underground student tradition that has drawn more than 1,000 students since its conception in 2005.

But don’t confuse the hearty party with another popular “fest.”

“It’s not like Cedar Fest,” event organizer and Spanish and history senior Ted Irland said. “I feel comfortable inviting parents there. My parents are coming this year.”

Despite its homey feel, NachoFest, held this year on Evergreen Avenue, was shut down by police at about 4 p.m. Saturday.

East Lansing police Sgt. Mark VanderWouwer said a citation was issued for a nuisance party after neighbors called in about partygoers urinating in public. One person was arrested and charged as a minor in possession of alcohol.

The first NachoFest was held in September 2005, with a turnout of about 60 people and two beer kegs. Since the start, there have been more than 1,200 people in attendance, and, in spring of 2009, there were 32 kegs of beer. The original NachoFest also included competitions such as cookoffs and relays.

“(NachoFest is) not just ‘get as drunk as we can.’ It’s for an enjoyable afternoon with friends,” said Arj Johnson, interdisciplinary studies in social science and community relations senior and co-founder of NachoFest.

Irland stressed that it is a day meant for friends to peacefully gather without being destructive.

The eighth NachoFest attracted attendees sporting wig party favors, sombreros, drawn-on mustaches and yellow T-shirts designed for the event stating, “It’s Nacho Average Festival.” The event occurs every spring and fall semester.

NachoFest is successful in large part to pre-orders of $20 per person, which pay for the kegs, food, T-shirts and mugs.

Johnson said the concept of NachoFest was the brainchild of him and his now-graduated friends during a lazy afternoon of watching TV.

“We were all just sitting around the TV and wanted to have a party,” he said. “We wanted to do something off the wall and funny.”

The event not only attracts parents, Irland and Johnson said, but NachoFest also has brought people in from across the state.

“It brings everyone together, people come from out of town, and it gives graduates a reason to come back and connect with those still at State,” Irland said.

Valparaiso alumnus Dave Tomke, senior director of nacho affairs, has attended all eight NachoFests.

“I feel obligated now, on some level,” Tomke said. “It’s always a good time. It’s about reconnecting with old friends.”

Share and discuss “Nachofest issued police citation, founders push it's 'not like Cedar Fest'” on social media.