Second annual Black Religion, Spirituality Conference this week

Issues of diversity, faith, racism, history and interfaith collaboration will be main points of the Black Religion and Spirituality Conference, which runs from Wednesday to Friday and has the theme of challenges and opportunities in the 21st Century.

Michael C. Murphy, board member for the conference, said it is the first of its kind in the nation.

This is the second year MSU will host the conference.

Thursday’s event highlights begin with a 9 a.m. discussion in the Kellogg Center Auditorium on youth, mental health and the impact of religion. A panel of women pastors and ministers will lead a discussion on what it’s like to be a woman in ministry from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Iva Carruthers, an African-centered educator and author, will present her keynote lecture at 7 p.m.

Denise Troutman, a planning committee member for the conference, said the idea is to bring together different ideas and different faiths.

Islam, Christianity and Judaism are a few of the religions to be discussed. Troutman said the conference provides an opportunity for those of diverse faiths to talk about their practices or obstacles, and network within the academic realm, religious field or community.

“We’re interested in looking at the impact of faith in the African-American community,” she said.

For conference Chairwoman Gloria Smith, the conference provides an opportunity to emphasize community-based research and the creation of a network for those interested in religion in terms of education, diversity and advocacy.

Nurturing social and political concerns is another goal of the conference’s discussions, said Murphy.

“It’s about dealing with racism, discrimination, health care — and how do we address these issues today,” he said. “Are today’s religious leaders providing the moral authority they historically have?”

Share and discuss “Second annual Black Religion, Spirituality Conference this week” on social media.