Smoothies provide valuable nutrients

Delicious new combinations blend healthy products with creativity to amp favorite summer treat

Strawberry-banana smoothies, like the one pictured above, contain many nutrients in just one blended cup. Many smoothie joints also offer free supplements you can add to your drink to bulk up your nutritional needs, such as protein, fiber and multivitamins.

Maybe it's the Jamba Juice smoothies the California kids are drinking that's making them glowing and energetic.

After all, the trendy blends that everyone from Lindsay Lohan to Reese Witherspoon is slurping feature a drink called "Coldbuster," which is "designed to help shorten the duration of colds, combat free radicals and support your immune system," Jamba Juice's Web site says, and it offers six different supplement boosts, including fiber, immunity, protein and vita, which is basically a multivitamin.

"They're all really popular," said Sean Bates, general manager of a Los Angeles Jamba Juice. "I'm located by two gyms, so the protein is the most popular here. (In general), the most popular is the wheat grass. One ounce has 15 servings of fruit and vegetables — people swear by it. It's great for your skin, fights gum disease and gives you a burst of energy."

Peggy Apostolos, a registered dietitian at Ingham Regional Medical Center, said these supplements are a beneficial way to consume more protein, vitamins and minerals, but added that energy supplements containing ginseng or caffeine aren't nutritional.

"If you're looking for energy, the smoothie itself should give you energy because of the carbohydrates," she said. "Ginseng has similar effects to caffeine."

She also said claims to burn calories made on any supplements or products aren't true — the only way to burn calories is by exercising.

"Lately, there's been quite a big claim with green tea having that type of effect," Apostolos said. "They've been adding green tea to smoothies and supplements, claiming it helps to burn calories."

Cold Stone Creamery, 200 M.A.C. Ave., introduced free nutritional supplements, such as soy protein and ginseng, with its smoothies last summer, East Lansing's store co-owner Tim Beemer said. But at his location, the supplements were discontinued in early April.

"We kind of took those from Jamba Juice because they offer them there," Beemer said. "Here, they weren't that popular, probably because it was something new. If you go to the West Coast, they're more into nutritional supplements than we are here.

We'd always offer them, but about maybe only 10 percent said yes. I think people were worried they might alter the taste as well."

Ronda Bokram, a nutritionist at Olin Health Center, doesn't think smoothie supplements are necessary at all.

"I think they're a marketing gimmick," she said. "You can eat food and get the same thing, or else you're getting nutrients you don't need. If you just want a fruit or yogurt smoothie, you can still get a lot of nutrient density from those.

"The smoothie phase has been around for a few years. People perceive they're missing something or getting an edge with products in them. They also don't understand nutrition, so they don't know how to make an informed decision about them."

Bokram said smoothies can be custom-made to include whatever nutrients you need. To increase calcium intake, make a smoothie with plenty of milk or yogurt, she said.

For protein, blend a nutty smoothie with peanut butter.

If it's fiber, vitamin C and vitamin A you're after, use fresh fruit and vegetables, such as strawberries, citrus fruits and mangos.

"That's the nice thing about it," she said. "There's no one recipe for a smoothie. All you need is a blender."

Apostolos said making your own smoothie is the surest way to know you're consuming a healthy drink.

Already-bottled smoothies can contain high fructose corn syrup, which can clog arteries, she said. For store-bought smoothies, Apostolos recommends Yoplait and Bolthouse Farms brands.

And just because it's called a "smoothie" doesn't mean it's any more nutritious than ice cream — some are made with that very dessert, along with chocolate and other rich ingredients. Smoothies also can range from 160 calories to about 800 calories per 16 ounces, Apostolos said, and added that calorie-dense smoothies can make a nutritious, on-the-go meal replacement.

"If you get a smoothie that doesn't have sugar added, with milk or yogurt, fruit and/or vegetables, you're covering a lot of (nutritional) basis there," she said.

In keeping with the smoothie store trend, the latest craze to hit Los Angeles is Pinkberry, an expensive smoothie and frozen yogurt store. And at about 25 calories per serving of frozen yogurt, all the celebs have been scooping it up.

Share and discuss “Smoothies provide valuable nutrients” on social media.