One-man show comes to BoarsHead

David Jones, writer and actor, portrays Thomas Jefferson in his one-man show called "A Visit With Thomas Jefferson" at BoarsHead Theatre.

Dave Jones has a fascination with Thomas Jefferson and has spent four years perfecting his presentation of the former president.

Now the actor and writer will present a one-man play based on most of Jefferson's own words to the public at BoarsHead Theatre. The performance is Saturday and Dec. 17.

"The more I read, it blew me away," Jones said about his research on Jefferson. "It's almost Shakespearean to read his quotes."

Jones, whose stage name is David Daoust, spent two years studying the life of Jefferson and then performed an educational program for children at schools and libraries for the next two years.

After meeting with artistic director Kristine Thatcher, Jones and Thatcher decided to bring the show to BoarsHead.

"This is a little risky," Jones said. He also said theaters normally show Christmas plays at this time of year so "this is an experiment as well."

Jones and Thatcher worked together to adapt the presentation for the BoarsHead performances.

"Because the original show, 'Jefferson Lives: A Visit with Thomas Jefferson,' travels to schools, it needed to be worked on and formatted for our stage," spokeswoman Katie Doyle said.

Doyle said Thatcher tweaked the text and staging so it would fit better with the theater.

Jones said he also figured out new ways for the audience to become engaged and interactive during the performance. He said the performance deals with issues not commonly taught to children.

"It's direct. We talk about his life, his routine, him as president," Jones said.

He hopes to stimulate a dialogue about Jefferson and issues the president dealt with, such as slavery.

"I hope it will allow these young minds to be intrigued enough to learn more about Jefferson," Jones said.

Doyle said because Jefferson is such a big historical figure, there is a lot known about him.

"There's a lot of text that has come out," Doyle said. "He was a genius."

She also said this is not the first educational show BoarsHead Theatre has presented. Past presentations, such as "Get A Handle On Your Mitten" and "Echoes of Voices," taught about the state of Michigan and American Indians.

Jones said he thinks Jefferson is a captivating subject for everyone from children to adults because of his theological beliefs and intelligence.

"What a mind," he said. "He's a flawed man, but a great man — very human."

"A Visit with Thomas Jefferson" will be performed at 3 p.m. Saturday and Dec. 17 at BoarsHead Theatre, 425 S. Grand Ave., in Lansing. Tickets cost $7 for students and $10 for adults and seniors. They can be purchased in advance by calling (517) 484-7805.

Share and discuss “One-man show comes to BoarsHead” on social media.