Trowbridge Road project should ease U traffic

Servando Torres, an employee of C & D Hughes Inc. of Charlotte, works on connecting a drain near the Grounds Maintenance Building on Friday. The crew is building a new impound lot because the old lot is in the path of the road extension from Trowbridg

By December, those traveling through campus should be able to take a new route.

The $3.9 million Trowbridge Road extension project, which will add a half-mile stretch of pavement from Harrison Avenue to Red Cedar Road, began construction two weeks ago.

That means drivers approaching campus from Interstate 496 will be able to drive straight onto campus, instead of making several turns.

Officials have discussed such a project for nearly 20 years.

“We feel this is a tremendous asset for the university, and we are pleased that we can see the project taking place now,” said Jeff Kacos, Campus Park and Planning director.

The extension will also include a connection with Farm Lane and could alleviate traffic congestion and driver headaches on south campus.

Trowbridge Road, which links I-496 and Harrison Avenue, is heavily traveled by many commuter students, faculty and staff members entering the southwest side of campus.

Kacos said the extension will promote safety and ease congestion at the intersection, where a fairly high number of accidents have occurred.

In addition to the extension, a traffic light and an information booth will be added to the new entrance to help welcome visitors.

“People weren’t even sure they had arrived at MSU sometimes,” Kacos said. “I think (the project) will also create a distinct front door to the university which we don’t have now.”

University employees staffing the information station will provide directions, parking passes, maps and other information. In addition, the 25 mph extension will be landscaped, with part of it managed by student groups, Kacos said.

“We’re hoping to establish MSU’s park-like atmosphere right at the new front door,” he said.

The project is slated for completion by December, barring delays from weather. But for two months, while the road is being built, the construction could cause some inconveniences for drivers and southwest campus residents.

Stadium Road is closed during construction and will ultimately be replaced by the extension. Drivers are advised to take Wilson Road or Shaw Lane into campus until the project’s completion.

No-preference sophomore Nicole Swayman, who lives in Holden Hall, said the nearby construction has already been a nuisance.

“Right now, I really don’t like it because I can’t get anywhere in my car without getting full of mud from construction,” she said.

Swayman is one of many students who cross the construction area on the way to the area’s nearest parking lot on the south side of the railroad tracks.

And some aren’t very thrilled about the new roadway’s effects on the pedestrian traffic in the area. Jordan Mantey said the new road could slow down walkers and bikers who cross the area.

“Even though it’s speeding up things, it probably would be a bad thing for people who go that way,” the no-preference freshman said. Mantey lives in South Case Hall.

Still, many feel the new road will improve campus travel after construction is completed.

Carrie Parsons, who lives in Cherry Lane Apartments near Trowbridge Road, said she’s ready to use the road to get onto campus.

“That’s a really good place for the road to go through,” the senior secondary education student said. “I think making it more of a four-way intersection will be better.”

Nicole Jacques can be reached at jacques9@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Trowbridge Road project should ease U traffic” on social media.