Tuesday, September 10, 2024

MSU basketball looks to improve physicality, rebounding ahead of Spain trip

MSU men's basketball running a drill during practice on August 6, 2024.

With one week left until the Michigan State University men’s basketball team visits Spain with slates against international club and all-star teams, the Spartans have been shaking things up, switching players into different positions and focusing on areas they've struggled in recently. 

Two of those aspects are physicality and rebounding, which MSU lacked at times last season in its slide from a preseason-ranked top five team to a 20-15 finish and second round exit in March. With less physicality, the Spartans also couldn't get to the free-throw line with efficiency. 

The team’s gameplan for Spain is still vague; head coach Tom Izzo will play “different lineups at every half” and have a varying starting five for “different situations.” Izzo said there will be a lot of players in new positions and roles, such as transfers Frankie Fidler and Szymon Zapala.

“We can go with lineups where it’s Jaxon (Kohler) and (Xavier Booker) who can really score, and we can go with (Carson Cooper) and really get the boards,” Izzo said. 

Sophomore forward Xavier Booker said he’s excited to go to Spain because it will be an opportunity for the team to come together more and see what they need to improve.

“I think going to Spain will not only help on the court, but also off the court,” Booker said. “It’s team bonding, and building our chemistry, so that carries over to the courts.”

So far this offseason, Booker said the team has learned to play “with each other’s strengths”, hoping to use that as its own as the season progresses. 

One player making a comeback in Spain is redshirt freshman guard Jeremy Fears Jr., who was sidelined by being shot last December after making 12 game appearances for MSU. Izzo said Fears is is about “99% recovered” from the injury.

In the 12 games he played, Fears totaled 40 assists, averaged almost two rebounds and made 15 field goals out of 30 attempts. Izzo, for one, is excited for his return.

“One thing about Jeremy, is that he’s a student of the game," Izzo said. "He sat on the bench, he was in timeout, talking about what to do. He knows how to play. I’ve been really pleased with his progress.”

Booker said Fears is the most competitive person on the team, a great leader and a guy every team needs.

“Our motto right now is ‘stacking days'," Fidler said. "Every day, we want to show that we’re getting better and improving on the things we need to work on. Whatever the team needs me to do, I’ll do that.”

Share and discuss “MSU basketball looks to improve physicality, rebounding ahead of Spain trip” on social media.