Sunday, September 8, 2024

MSU DPPS conducts test of university's emergency alert system

Michigan State University Police Department on Thursday, April 6, 2023.

The Michigan State University Department of Public Safety and Police conducted a test of the university's alert system Wednesday morning, one month after upgrades were made to the system.

The test, which was conducted at 10:15 am, comes after the department's announcement back in June, informing the MSU community about the inclusion of registered preferred phone numbers in the alert system.

The MSU DPPS announced last week through a campus-wide email that they will conduct a test of the MSU Alert System, it's goal to help "ensure the new modality is working at all East Lansing campus buildings," according to the email.

“The mass notification system is used to provide emergency notifications and timely warnings to the Spartan community,” DPPS Interim Vice President and Chief Safety Officer Doug Monette said in the email. “The test will include text and email alerts, computer notifications, SafeMSU app notifications, desktop phones, MSU Green Light emergency phones and the outdoor siren system.”

MSU DPPS will also begin exploring the expansion of the system to MSU-affiliated buildings located in Grand Rapids and Flint.

In the event of an emergency on campus, near East Lansing or in its surrounding areas, users will receive an alert notification through SMS and email. Audible tones will also be heard from outdoor sirens and additional instructions are sent to registered mobile devices.

The email also stated that in the department’s partnership with MSU, it has successfully completed its enrollment of cell phone and preferred or primary residence phone numbers for students and employees into the MSU Alert system, which will be used in the upcoming test.

“We add a level of alert and security and now we have to make sure it's working and that it would be working in the situation you need it to,” MSU spokesperson Emily Guerrant said. “It's good that the police department continues to run these tests. I think the feedback we've received post-February 13th is that the community appreciates a heads-up when the testing is going to happen so that they know it’s also just a test.”

Guerrant said incoming MSU students’ preferred phone numbers have also been included in the recent system upgrade.

The MSU DPPS encourages students, faculty and staff to review or update their notification preferences prior to future tests, download the SafeMSU app and enable push notifications.

Share and discuss “MSU DPPS conducts test of university's emergency alert system” on social media.