Wednesday, May 1, 2024

APASO urges MSU board, university officials to address racism and harassment on campus

<p>The Michigan State Spartan logo on a building, photographed Aug. 31, 2020.</p>

The Michigan State Spartan logo on a building, photographed Aug. 31, 2020.

The Asian Pacific American Student Organization, or APASO, released a statement expressing its disappointment in the MSU Board of Trustees on its lack of support and action in addressing racist incidents and harassment on campus. 

According to the statement, students in the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American/Asian, or APIDA/A, community have experienced discrimination, harassment and acts of violence on campus in recent months. 

The university's response, the statement said, has been negligence and a lack of action. 

“After having voiced our concerns about feeling unsafe and unheard, the university has yet to take accountability for and be transparent about this,” the statement said. “In light of recent events, action on behalf of the higher administration is needed now more than ever; therein the voices of the APIDA/A community deserve to be heard and urges for changes to ensure a safe and supportive environment."

The statement, which was released on Jan. 19, said APIDA/A students have "continuously expressed" that MSU has fallen short in "diversity, inclusivity, transparency, and belongingness."

"We do not subscribe to the institutional racism that has impacted the student body," the statement said. "Such grievances are unacceptable and students in the MSU community deserve to feel safe and supported."

It also demands that the board not only listen to student voices, but deliver on its promises. 

"Students do not deserve to be given false promises from higher administration on the basis that they hear us and will try to do better; we deserve action," the statement said. 

Last Friday’s statement comes at a time when many student groups of color are advocating for university officials to do more in their roles to address racist incidents on campus. 

The statement said that despite the Coalition of Racial and Ethnic Students, or CORES, having numerous conversations with the board in the past several months, "the needs of APIDA/A students have failed to be acknowledged and change has yet to be implemented." 

According to the Office of Cultural and Academic Transitions website, CORES is made up of four student organizations: the Asian Pacific American Student Organization, Black Students’ Alliance, Culturas de las Razas Unidas and the North American Indigenous Student Organization. 

In an email to The State News, APASO president Hanaa Yoo said CORES hopes to have further discussions with the Board of Trustees regarding APASO's recent statement. 

Ending the statement, APASO urged the board to uphold its promise to help students, especially at a time when the university's accreditation is under review. 

"MSU's reputation has already been jeopardized by the Board of Trustees' negligence and incompetence; therefore, continuing to invite a hostile environment further results in this institution losing its accreditation." 

In response to the statement, board chair Rema Vassar provided The State News with a statement on behalf of the Board of Trustees. 

"The Board affirms our steadfast dedication to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and safe environment for Spartans," the board's statement said. "Thusly, we do not condone any form of discrimination, harassment, or violence."

Vassar said the board's statement is in response to the student voices the board has been hearing. 

"Our students must feel heard, supported, and valued," the statement said. "Student voices are vital to the progress of our university, and we are committed to listening to students and working with the administration to ensure concerns are addressed with seriousness and timeliness. In solidarity, we stand with MSU students in creating a respectful campus climate. Collectively, we are dedicated to making MSU a place where we all thrive together."

Share and discuss “APASO urges MSU board, university officials to address racism and harassment on campus” on social media.