Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Teresa Woodruff won't pursue permanent MSU president role

MSU Interim President Teresa Woodruff in her office during an exclusive interview with The State News on Feb. 23, 2023.

MSU Interim President Teresa Woodruff will not be seeking a role as permanent president, according to a statement released Sunday evening

Woodruff intends to remain interim president until a new president is selected by the Board of Trustees to “ensure a smooth transition of leadership,” according to the statement. She has not said if she is returning to her previous role as provost

Her statement is as follows:

“I was honored to be asked and then unanimously voted by the Board of Trustees to serve in an interim role as president, leading this great university at a moment of tumult and uncertainty. I have been humbled by the support of our deans, Faculty Senate, students and employees, alumni and government, business and industry leaders across the state of Michigan and beyond. Together, we have stabilized the university. Together, we experienced and continue to heal from the violence that occurred on our campus in February. Together we have set a course for a safer and more welcoming campus for all. And together, we have created the context for sustained excellence in our shared future. I wish for a continued period of stability for the university. Thus, and to enable that goal, I do not seek the full-time presidency, but will support the individual selected for this role as they assume the helm.”

Woodruff began her role as MSU provost in August 2020. She was then appointed unanimously as interim president in October 2022 by the Board of Trustees after former MSU president Samuel L. Stanley Jr. resigned three weeks earlier, citing a loss of confidence in the board.

Woodruff led the university during a campus shooting on Feb. 13, which killed three MSU students and injured five more.

Board chair Rema Vassar responded with a statement:

“On behalf of the MSU Board of Trustees, I thank Dr. Woodruff for stepping into the role of interim president and providing resolute leadership these past 10 months. We appreciate her hard work on behalf of the university, the students, faculty and staff, our alumni, and the greater Spartan community. We particularly recognize her steadfast leadership during the violence that our campus experienced in February and her commitment to improved safety since then. We look forward to her support through an upcoming presidential transition period.”

Share and discuss “Teresa Woodruff won't pursue permanent MSU president role” on social media.