Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Move-in week sees temperatures up to 92

<p>Almost all smiles during move in for this spartan family, on August 24, 2023/</p>

Almost all smiles during move in for this spartan family, on August 24, 2023/

MSU officials are warning students to prepare for warm temperatures and humidity during move-in this week. Students can expect a high of 92 degrees throughout the week. 

In an email sent on Tuesday to students moving into dorms, the Housing Assignments Office recommended limiting time spent outdoors and suggested wearing loose-fitting clothing and sunscreen when out in the sun. 

Spartan Family Connections Director Laurin Gierman suggested unpacking fans first in the dorm. She also said to bring lots of water and snacks, since heat and hunger can be a bad combination. The Housing Assignments Office recommended keeping windows open to increase air circulation. 

MSU has also set up comfort centers around campus for those seeking relief in air-conditioned public spaces. The following locations are open from noon to 10pm and during open building hours:

• South Neighborhood: Lobby Space in Wilson C102, Case Dining Hall, Case Lobbies  
  • River Trail Neighborhood: Owen Lobby and Owen Ground Floor, Thrive Dining Hall at Owen, The Vista at Shaw Dining Hall  
  • East Neighborhood: Akers Dining Hall, Akers Computer Lab, Holmes Sparty’s Area  
  • North Neighborhood - West Circle: Landon Dining Hall, MSU Union, Mayo Center Section (West Circle residents only)  
  • North Neighborhood - MASP: Gallery Dining Hall, Lounge outside of Snyder Sparty’s  
  • Brody Neighborhood: Brody Hall  
  • Other Buildings: STEM, International Center, Main Library, MSU Union, 1855 Place  

To many, the high temperatures only add to the stress of moving in. Rebecca Cesario, parent of MSU sophomore Robert, described move-in as “orchestrated chaos.”

“You, your child, and everyone else moving in that day will be navigating to the best of their ability under stress,” Cesario wrote in an email to The State News. “Give yourself, your child and everyone around you space and grace.”

Students can expect a drop in temperature by the start of classes on Monday. 

Share and discuss “Move-in week sees temperatures up to 92” on social media.