Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU board to hold special meeting to consider game day alcohol sales

MSU fans boo for Western Michigan during the season opener at Spartan Stadium on Sept. 2, 2022. The Spartans beat the broncos with a score of 35-13.

Michigan State University’s Board of Trustees will consider amending a campus ordinance to allow for newly-legal stadium alcohol sales at a special virtual meeting Wednesday, according to a release from MSU.

This meeting will allow the board to consider amending the ordinance almost a month before their next regularly scheduled meeting in September, though even if policies are modified to allow sales, MSU will still have to complete a licensing process with the state’s Liquor Control Commission to legally sell alcohol.

University spokespeople told The State News in June that given the licensing process and time it would take to find vendors and train stadium staff, there is a “very low” chance of sales occurring in time for the fall football season.

The university has long been supportive of the new law legalizing potential alcohol sales at MSU’s stadiums.

Athletic Director Alan Haller told legislators it would help the university compete with the stadium experiences at 11 other Big Ten universities in states where legislation has previously allowed the sale of alcohol at games.

The law was opposed by some drunk driving advocacy groups and State Senator Sam Singh, who represents MSU and East Lansing.

After he voted against the law, Singh told The State News that constituents living near campus told him they were worried that if drinking lasted through the game – instead of ending during tailgates before – it could lead to increased "drunken activity" in local neighborhoods after games. 

Wednesday’s special meeting will occur over Zoom, with a link posted on the board’s website. Those who wish to make public comments to the board must register online by Tuesday at 8 a.m.

Share and discuss “MSU board to hold special meeting to consider game day alcohol sales” on social media.