MSU baseball catcher Bryan Broecker selected in thirteenth round of MLB Draft

<p>Bryan Broecker swings for the fences against the Mastodons on April 19, 2023.</p>

Bryan Broecker swings for the fences against the Mastodons on April 19, 2023.

Redshirt sophomore catcher Bryan Broecker became the third Spartan drafted in the Major League Baseball Draft Tuesday afternoon after being picked up by the Tampa Bay Rays. 

He was drafted 393rd overall in the 13th round.

Broecker joins teammates Mitch Jebb, who will play for the Pittsburgh Pirates and Bryce Vradenburg at the Miami Marlins in being drafted—making it the first time since 2019 that three Michigan State players have been taken in a single draft.

The 6-foot-2-inch Chicago native made the 2022 All Big Ten Freshman Team last season and was named a 2023 Buster Posey National Collegiate Catcher of the Year Award Watch List honoree this season.

Additionally, Broecker comfortably led the Big Ten in caught stealing with a record of 20, having garnered seven more outs than Indiana's Peter Serruto (13) who sits at second.

At bat, the catcher had a .316 batting average with eight home runs and 36 RBIs in his 49 games played this season.

Broecker is the first Michigan State player to ever be drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays organization.

Share and discuss “MSU baseball catcher Bryan Broecker selected in thirteenth round of MLB Draft” on social media.