MSU to lock on-campus buildings in evenings, ramp up safety measures

A "Spartan Strong" sign is iced over after a winter storm came through the Michigan State University campus on Feb. 23, 2023. The sign is part of a memorial to students affected by a mass shooting that took place on Feb. 13, 2023.
A "Spartan Strong" sign is iced over after a winter storm came through the Michigan State University campus on Feb. 23, 2023. The sign is part of a memorial to students affected by a mass shooting that took place on Feb. 13, 2023. —
Photo by Jack Patton | The State News

Buildings on Michigan State University’s campus will soon require people to swipe their MSU ID card to enter Mondays through Fridays from 6 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. following the mass shooting on campus. 

Starting March 13, buildings that will be affected by this new policy are the same buildings currently locked from 11 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. Most buildings on campus follow this rule. 

Next fall, MSU will prioritize adding new door locks to the over 1,300 academic classrooms on campus. 

MSU will also increase the number of cameras in place around campus, including academic buildings and Green Light phones. MSU Police and Public Safety is continuing its request for a proposal on centralizing the on-campus camera system, a process anticipated to wrap up in late March. 

Last month, MSU was the only university in the Big Ten to obtain an emergency readiness accreditation. University leaders said in an email to the MSU community that they will conduct an after-action evaluation of how emergency personnel and leaders responded to the crisis, as well as solicit a third-party review.

“This is a common practice for education institutions that have experienced similar situations and a chance to review what went well during the emergency response and what could improve,” university leaders said in an email.

Share and discuss “MSU to lock on-campus buildings in evenings, ramp up safety measures” on social media.