Letters from Love: MSU alumna organizes supportive messages

<p>Letters of support and affirmation decorated campus on Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, for Spartan Sunday - an event organized by alumni and Spartan parents to welcome students and faculty back to campus.</p>

Letters of support and affirmation decorated campus on Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, for Spartan Sunday - an event organized by alumni and Spartan parents to welcome students and faculty back to campus.

Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

Carol Love, an MSU alumna from the 1970s, has been spending her time since Monday's mass shooting thinking of ways to bring kindness and positivity to campus alongside her fellow alumni.

“We're aware of all the fun of sending funds, but we wanted to do something that was more personal and more tangible,” Love said.

Carol had the idea for MSU alumni to write letters of love and support to their former addresses at the university.

“Somebody had the great idea of just going to campus and walking around and showing that it's still safe,” Love said. “Just be that presence. I know that there are people going there just to give hugs.”

Love said it’s vital for students to feel that old Spartan connection with their university once more.

“People have started writing their stories of how they fell in love with Michigan State and ended up there,” Love said. “It really hit me the first time I saw Sparty. I didn’t realize so many people have walked these halls, these paths, before me. It just kind of fills you up”

Love said even though some alumni experiences date back to 40 to 50 years ago, there are still many memories fresh in their minds of the love and freedom that Michigan State brought into their lives.

“We don't want all that taken away from the current students, that they are part of this history,” Love said.

Other alumni have been thinking of hosting an MSU day, where everyone wears their MSU clothes in a show of strength and togetherness, according to Love.

There is no shortage of ideas, as alumni are pooling together on Facebook groups and in person to make some change and welcome students back to campus.

“This is a bad thing that's happened, but this too shall pass,” Love said.

Share and discuss “Letters from Love: MSU alumna organizes supportive messages” on social media.