FINAL: MSU hockey falls to Ferris State 4-2 in semifinal round of Great Lakes Invitational

Ferris State celebrates their 4-2 win over Michigan State during their semifinal matchup in the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 27, 2022 at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids.
Ferris State celebrates their 4-2 win over Michigan State during their semifinal matchup in the Great Lakes Invitational on Dec. 27, 2022 at Van Andel Arena in Grand Rapids. —
Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — After trailing 3-0 heading into first-period intermission, Michigan State hockey rallied to net two goals in the second period to trail Ferris State by one. The Spartans’ comeback efforts were not enough to stop the Bulldogs from putting up another goal in the third period extending its lead to a final score of 4-2.

Graduate student defenseman Christian Krygier was sent to the penalty box on a minor for hooking, sending Ferris State into a power play at the 4:44 mark. Just six seconds later freshman forward Tyler Schleppe netted his sixth goal of the season to put the Bulldogs up 1-0 with a little over 15 minutes to play in the first period.

Freshman forward Connor McGrath extended FSU’s lead to 2-0 at the 18:37 mark on a breakaway goal.

With less than 15 seconds left to play in the first, junior forward Mitch Deelstra got one past graduate student goaltender Dylan St. Cyr with an assist from McGrath to put the Bulldogs up 3-0 heading into the locker room.

Despite shots being 15-6 MSU in the first period, the Bulldogs pulled away with a 3-0 lead heading into the locker room.

Freshman defenseman Viktor Hurtig was whistled for boarding at the 1:41 mark of the second period, sending the Bulldogs into another powerplay.

Less than a minute later, senior forward Jason Brancheau was sent to the box on a cross-checking call, ending FSU’s power play and giving MSU an extra man advantage. However, the Spartans were unable to get on the board.

MSU had another power play opportunity after FSU’s junior forward Jacob Dirks was called for tripping at the 7:51 mark, but the Spartans were ultimately unable to capitalize on the man advantage.

Sophomore defenseman David Gucciardi took a trip to the box on a holding call with over eight minutes to play in the second.

The Spartans were finally able to get on the board less than a minute later when fifth-year defenseman Cole Krygier put a four-on-four goal in the back of the net with help from senior forwards Jagger Joshua and Nico Müller.

Junior forward Jeremy Davidson was called on a minor for boarding 17:03 into the second period. Krygier netted his second of the night, and seventh of the season, less than 30 seconds later to cut FSU’s lead to 3-2.

After the Spartans rallied back in the second period to trail FSU by one, they were given a couple opportunities to tie the game, but couldn’t put up any additional goals. 

Halfway through the third period, senior forward Erik Middendorf took a trip to the penalty box on a minor for hooking, giving FSU yet another power play opportunity. 

The Bulldogs were able to take advantage thanks to a goal by Brancheau, with assists from senior defensemen, Blake Evennou and Matt Slick extending their lead to 4-2. 

Despite the loss, the Spartans outshot the Bulldogs 47-22. FSU sophomore goaltender Noah Giesbrecht walked away with 45 saves on the night for FSU. 

MSU will return to Van Andel to face Michigan Tech in the third-place game tomorrow at 3:30 p.m.

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU hockey falls to Ferris State 4-2 in semifinal round of Great Lakes Invitational” on social media.