MSU COVID-19 policies remain in place for fall

<p>Mar. 7- East Lansing- A mask on the ground that says the word &quot;Spartans&quot; on it. </p>

Mar. 7- East Lansing- A mask on the ground that says the word "Spartans" on it.

Photo by Jillian Felton | The State News

MSU's COVID-19 policies will remain in place for the fall, according to an email from President Samuel L. Stanley Jr.

The mask mandate, which was dropped in May, is still lifted for the fall.

"There still may be limited situations where masks may be required, such as in campus health care facilities or due to state/federal regulations, performance contracts or other contracts," Stanley said in the email. "All who wish to wear masks should be supported."

The Early Detection Program and on-campus testing also ended in May, but community testing is available. Those wishing to find a nearby location can visit the state of Michigan's test location finder. People visiting Olin who are exhibiting symptoms may be tested for COVID-19 if appropriate.

Those who test positive for COVID-19 do not have to report it to the university. MSU has a guidance page with resources for positive cases.

All students and employees at MSU must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have at least one booster shot, if eligible to receive one. Students and employees can also apply for a vaccine exemption.

MSU and Ingham County is hosting another COVID-19 vaccine/booster clinic on Aug. 31 at the Breslin Center if students or staff wish to get vaccinated then.

Quarantine and isolation housing locations are no longer provided by the university either.

"All students are encouraged to create a plan for how to handle a positive case within their living situation," Stanley said in the email.

Stanley also addressed the recent spread of monkeypox, echoing Ingham County Health Officer Linda Vail's earlier stance that there's a relatively low risk to the local community.

"The university is having conversations with the Ingham County Health Department and will take its guidance from public health officials as it relates to any additional preventive measures," Stanley said. "We encourage all community members to wash their hands frequently and see a physician if they have symptoms." 

Share and discuss “MSU COVID-19 policies remain in place for fall” on social media.