Saturday, January 22, 2022

MSU housing clarifies dorm assignment confusion

Michael Ethier, a second year music performance major, is moving onto campus for the first time this year. "I'm super excited to be on campus and with other people in the same position as me," he said. August 27, 2021.
Michael Ethier, a second year music performance major, is moving onto campus for the first time this year. "I'm super excited to be on campus and with other people in the same position as me," he said. August 27, 2021. —
Photo by Chloe Trofatter | The State News

After many Michigan State University students were unable to move into resident halls last year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, students were welcomed back to campus, ahead of the fall semester, for move-in week.

With move-in came some confusion regarding dorm room placements.

Reclaim MSU said in a Twitter direct message that they heard from a Residential and Hospitality Services, or RHS, employee that some students that applied or signed in for single rooms were surprised by being placed in doubles by MSU housing.

RHS Chief Communications Officer Kat Cooper said RHS has no record of students applying for single rooms and receiving doubles.

Cooper said that the only hall in East Neighborhood that had any singles available was Holmes Hall, and that was only available to returners because first-year students aren’t eligible for singles.

“The only thing we can come up with is sometimes students get confused that apartments that are in residents halls - so resident hall apartments - they aren’t automatically singles, and so sometimes people get confused with that,” Cooper said.

A sophomore Campbell Hall resident told The State News that she did not have any issues during move-in and that she received the single dorm room she requested.

Reclaim MSU said the source who originally reported the issue did not provide identifying information.

Reclaim MSU is “an alliance of students, staff, faculty, and alumni working for broad institutional and cultural change at the university”, according to its website.

Any students with housing questions or concerns should contact Residence Education and Housing Services for more information.

Do you want the news without having to hunt for it? Sign up for our morning s'newsletter. It's everything your friends are talking about and then some. And it's free!

Share and discuss “MSU housing clarifies dorm assignment confusion” on social media.