Tuesday, March 19, 2024

MSU students deal with election anticipation

<p>Volunteers at Precinct 5, located in Shaarey Zedek Congregation, wait for the crowds on Election Day. Shot on Nov. 3, 2020.</p>

Volunteers at Precinct 5, located in Shaarey Zedek Congregation, wait for the crowds on Election Day. Shot on Nov. 3, 2020.

Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

It's been three days since the polls closed, and there is still no answer to the following question: Who will be our next president? Michigan State students express their feelings about the election and how they are dealing with stress this week. 

When it comes to the election and anticipation the results, animal science major Lacey Olsen said she feels very anxious and scared.

“The results of this election are very anticipated and a lot of people’s safety, and peace of mind and rights are at stake,” Olsen said. 

Criminal justice and psychology junior Delaney Reid said, "Managing classes with both the presidential election and pandemic happening has been quite difficult. I've found it hard to keep my attention on schoolwork when there’s so much happening outside of school.

Some students were expected to attend class on Election Day. Biomedical laboratory science sophomore Marqell McClendon said that she has been taking exams and doing presentations all week.

“I have been reaffirming to myself the fact that we knew that this would happen," Olsen said. "We knew that the red mirage would happen, and it would take longer to count the mail-in ballots and the fact that the unprecedented voter turnout would definitely take longer to count everything."

President of the Michigan State University's College Democrats Mary Gibbons said, “I am looking forward and feeling optimistic about votes being counted. I prefer if we knew a little bit sooner, but we understand that the way that some of the Michigan laws are set up ... that we're not going to hear right away."

With high voter turnout rates for this election, the process for counting votes is slower than usual. The increased number of absentee ballots submitted this election emphasized the delayed count.

“We are feeling optimistic, and we're honestly so impressed by all of the turnout that has happened this year,” Gibbons said.

MSU College Republicans said in a statement that, “The MSU College Republicans are committed to seeing all legal ballots counted, and we support a fair election where every voice can be heard. While we do not know the results of the presidential election yet, we do know this election has produced successful results for Republicans both at the federal level and the state level.” 

While the election is currently favoring Joe Biden — including a win in Michigan, a state that favored Donald Trump in 2016 — Nevada, Pennsylvania, Georgia, North Carolina and Alaska are still counting votes. The election is still undecided.

Share and discuss “MSU students deal with election anticipation ” on social media.