High school football beginning this week in Michigan

With Big Ten college football still up in the air, Michigan football fans know one place where they can watch football for sure — the high school field.

On Sept. 3 the Michigan High School Athletic Association (MHSAA) received approval to reinstate their fall 2020 football season. Later on Sept. 9th, Gov. Gretchen Whitmer released an updated executive order on the rules and regulations regarding this restart.

Michigan will join most states across the country in deciding to play high school football this fall. States that will not play this fall include California, North Carolina, Illinois, New York, Minnesota, Washington, Colorado and others. 

East Lansing head football coach Bill Feraco said he was not too surprised with Whitmer’s decision.

“There had been an undercurrent of opinion probably since the 20th of August or thereabouts ... that there would be some subsequent decision making that would take place that would be in favor of opening up the fall season,” Feraco said.

Feraco, a former Michigan State quarterback from 1966 to 1968, said that preparation for this season has been unlike any other. Strength conditioning and workouts were allowed over the summer, but the typical practices and training were not. 

“We are a little behind, but we are working at it,” Feraco said.

To ensure safety, the MHSAA has released guidelines that teams are required to follow. Among those guidelines include daily temperature checks, symptom screening requirements and enhanced sanitization of facilities and equipment. Some fans are allowed in attendance but at a limited capacity. 

“It is a little tedious, but nevertheless needs to be done,” Feraco said regarding the MHSAA protocols.

One of the new challenges for coaches and players in particular is the requirement of wearing masks. According to Whitmer’s executive order, players must wear a facial covering in situations where they cannot consistently maintain six feet of social distancing. That means football players must wear a facial covering at all times, even when they are playing. 

“I am pretty sure they (the players) do not like it right now,” Feraco said. “But, it is like most things, there is a repetition to it. You create a habit, and then, in a brief time, you are able to become accustomed to it.”

Even though it looks and feels extremely different, Feraco is just happy that football is back. “The safety issues and guidelines that are in place are important to be followed to lessen the occurrence of any kind of problems,” he said.

East Lansing will play six regular season games with the season opener Sept. 18th at Portage Central.

Share and discuss “High school football beginning this week in Michigan” on social media.