Sunday, December 3, 2023

Capitol police brutality protest includes stop at East Lansing

May 31, 2020

Amid widespread protests across the country, a protest against police brutality was held on Sunday morning at the Michigan Capitol. These protests were sparked by the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis after a police officer pressed his knee into his neck.

It drew speculation initially due to the fact it was not organized by the Lansing chapter of Black Lives Matter.

The protest was peaceful, and participants were encouraged to make their own signs and share any messages they felt needed to be heard. Peace and love were emphasized by speakers and those in attendance as keys to making things better.

Protesters chanted and marched in Downtown Lansing, down Michigan Avenue and back around through Lansing Community College’s campus.

According to Aliana Sherman, one of the main organizers of the event, the protest was supposed to end at 1 p.m.

The protest has since moved to the East Lansing area and the East Lansing Police Department have issued statements warning motorists to avoid eastbound Michigan Avenue near Kensington Road due to protesters in the roadway.

Shortly after, the City of East Lansing issued a statement of support for the peaceful protesting underway:

“More than 800 people have walked from Lansing to East Lansing to protest police brutality. The East Lansing City Council wants them to know: We fully support this peaceful protest. We deplore the murder of George Floyd by officers with the Minneapolis Police Department. We acknowledge that East Lansing needs to make significant changes in its own policing. We promise to continue our work to make sure that minorities are safe and protected in East Lansing.”

The Ingham County Special Response team was sent to East Lansing Police Station, where the protesters were at as of 5 p.m.

The protest has remained peaceful, carrying on what was started at the Capitol around 11 a.m.. However, an East Lansing police vehicle’s window was shattered behind East Lansing City Hall as protesting moved to that area. It has not been confirmed as to who shattered the window.

Though protesters focused on safety, one person was taken into custody at the Capitol earlier today after they spray painted “F--- 12” on the Capitol's steps. 

The situation escalated when police tackled the individual who spray painted the steps after he attempted to run. Protesters formed a barrier for the officers putting the man in custody, upholding safety and successfully deescalating the situation.

Support student media! Please consider donating to The State News and help fund the future of journalism.

More protesters stepped up to prevent people from entering the Grand River Target during their march through East Lansing. The crowd is now headed back to the Capitol.

This is a developing story. In our reporting, we'll focus on verifying information from credible sources. Stay with The State News for more updates.


Share and discuss “Capitol police brutality protest includes stop at East Lansing” on social media.