No. 1 MKLeo wins Frostbite 2020 after dramatic losers' bracket run

No. 1 MKLeo (left) celebrates his Grand Finals win onstage with No. 22 Dark Wizzy (right) at Frostbite 2020.
No. 1 MKLeo (left) celebrates his Grand Finals win onstage with No. 22 Dark Wizzy (right) at Frostbite 2020. —
Photo by Matt Schmucker | The State News

No. 1 MKLeo was knocked to the losers’ bracket of Frostbite 2020’s double elimination Smash Ultimate Singles bracket by unranked Prodigy in the first round of Top-96 play. That didn’t matter much.

The losers’ bracket couldn’t stop MKLeo, who won nine straight sets in the losers’ bracket to make it to the Grand Finals, where he swept Maister, 6-0.

smash-final-cut-9

“It was really hard for me,” MKLeo said in an interview on stream. “I had to play people that were really good against me, and also against my character.”

In his 11-set run through the losers’ bracket and Grand Finals, MKLeo beat six top ten ranked players: No. 2 Samsora, No. 3 Tweek, No. 4 Nairo, No. 6 Maister, No. 7 Zackray and No. 9 Dabuz. MKLeo looked dominant in this run, taking most of his sets 3-0 or 3-1, only being pushed to a Game 5 against Tweek, Zackray and No. 12 Tea.

MKLeo has been a force to be reckoned with in Smash Ultimate. He hasn’t finished outside the Top 2 at a major tournament he attended since May 19, 2019, when he finished fourth at Get On My Level 2019, and he’s won seven out of the 11 supermajor tournaments he’s attended since Ultimate’s release including his Frostbite win this weekend.

In the Grand Finals, MKLeo met Maister, who swept through the winners’ side of the bracket to get there. Maister, a Mr. Game & Watch main, tried switching to play Pichu after the bracket reset to no avail, only to switch back to Mr. Game & Watch for the rest of the set.

MKLeo’s Joker looked dominant as ever in the first five games of the set before MKLeo switched his character to Byleth, who was added as a DLC character last month for the last game of the set.

smash-final-cut-17

Both players hail from Mexico City, making for an all-Mexico Grand Finals. The Top 8 also featured Japanese players Zackray and Tea, and US players Tweek, Wrath, Dabuz and Toast.

Toast was the closest player to Detroit as an Ohioan, and had a huge crowd cheering for him all day, with a crowd member even bringing out an Ohio flag for Toast to hold as he made the Top 8. Toast and Wrath met as the two unranked players in Top 8, with Wrath defeating Toast to finish fourth in the tournament.

The next upcoming US supermajor tournament will be EVO 2020, starting July 31.

Share and discuss “No. 1 MKLeo wins Frostbite 2020 after dramatic losers' bracket run” on social media.