MSU Nassar settlements reach $498 million

<p>The Hannah Administration Building at sunset Dec. 7, 2019.</p>

The Hannah Administration Building at sunset Dec. 7, 2019.

Photo by Lauren DeMay | The State News

Michigan State has paid more than $498 million in settlements to survivors of Larry Nassar, former MSU doctor convicted of sexually abusing hundreds of women and girls.

According to the Lansing State Journal, the full amount the university spent has been $498,480,462.24 so far.

“They filed a FOIA and then they added up those numbers and I think added them to a previous FOIA,” Emily Guerrant, university spokesperson, said. 

The first settlement was with 325 survivors of Nassar's abuse for a total of around $425 million.

The remaining $75 million of the calculated amount is being used for about 165 other cases, if that $75 million runs out, the university will continue to negotiate as they would for any other lawsuit, Guerrant said.

There are about 20 to 30 cases remaining, Guerrant told the LSJ. The university does not have a timeline for those cases who are yet to receive settlements. 

“Each situation was different, each factors, each survivors experience was different and there were a variety of factors that were considered in it and the process in approaching each of these settlements was a consistent and fair process,” Guerrant said. 

Share and discuss “MSU Nassar settlements reach $498 million” on social media.