Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Ex-MSU dean William Strampel to pay state fine, loses medical license permanently

<p>The MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine’s former Dean William Strampel (right) on trial on June 4, 2019, at the Ingham Count Circuit Court.</p>

The MSU College of Osteopathic Medicine’s former Dean William Strampel (right) on trial on June 4, 2019, at the Ingham Count Circuit Court.

Photo by Matt Zubik | The State News

William Strampel, former dean of Michigan State's College of Osteopathic Medicine, has permanently surrendered his license to practice medicine and is ordered to pay the State of Michigan $35,000, according to a press release from Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel.

“Today’s action by the Disciplinary Subcommittee will ensure that this man will never again use his medical license or his authority to harass, discriminate, demean, sexually proposition and/or sexually assault female students – or anyone else, for that matter,” Nessel said in the press release. “He wielded both with reckless abandon, tarnishing the college and the profession he was hired to uphold.”

Strampel was deemed guilty of misconduct in office and two counts of willful neglect in accordance with his role as ex-MSU doctor Larry Nassar's boss in June.

Witnesses testified during Strampel's trial that he sexually harassed and assaulted them, made inappropriate comments and abused his power as dean.

Strampel was then sentenced to 11 months for count one, one year for count two and one year for count three to be served concurrently, as ruled by Ingham County Circuit Judge Joyce Draganchuk.

“While the harm caused by William Strampel cannot be undone, I appreciate the hard work of the AG’s Office and the support of the Board of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery in making sure that his medical license will be permanently surrendered so that he will never be in a position of practicing medicine in Michigan again," Orlene Hawks, director of the Michigan Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs, said in the statement.

Share and discuss “Ex-MSU dean William Strampel to pay state fine, loses medical license permanently” on social media.