Tuesday, March 19, 2024

EL seeks market for housing study, former Park Place properties

<p>Newly elected city council members including Mayor Pro Tem Aaron Stephens (left), Lisa Babcock and Jessy Gregg during the East Lansing City Council meeting at the East Lansing City Offices on Nov. 12, 2019.</p>

Newly elected city council members including Mayor Pro Tem Aaron Stephens (left), Lisa Babcock and Jessy Gregg during the East Lansing City Council meeting at the East Lansing City Offices on Nov. 12, 2019.

Photo by Connor Desilets | The State News

East Lansing is seeking a contract for properties once a part of an exclusive deal, and a separate contract to determine the city's housing market.

The first request for proposal is to conduct a housing study on the City of East Lansing.

The city is seeking information about its current housing market and the impacts the recent city developments have on the housing demand in the area. City officials seek answers to questions regarding projected trends in hopes to help better understand the current housing conditions and provide better assistance in future project planning.

This housing study will provide the city with benchmark data and insights that will be tracked over time and used for follow-up studies. They are looking for qualified firms with demonstrated success in executing housing studies in communities similar to East Lansing, especially communities with a significant university presence.

Interested firms have until 10 a.m. on Jan. 17, 2020 to submit their proposal.

The second opening is for the Downtown Development Authority’s Evergreen Avenue properties, located at 314, 328, 334, 340, and 344 Evergreen Ave. in East Lansing. The Evergreen Avenue properties equal approximately 1.08 acres of land owned and controlled by the city's Downtown Development Authority, or DDA.

Vlahakis Development and Royal Apartments USA initially held the properties in a bid to construct dual towers and a movie theater, but the proposal found backlash for its height, the various changes to the project and the amount of potential public financing.

In August, the DDA terminated their contract with the developers, and in October, council members voted the proposal down.

They are offering this significant development opportunity directly adjacent and close to exciting transformational projects that are currently taking place in downtown East Lansing and just steps away from Michigan State’s campus. All developers who are interested and experienced are invited to submit their qualifications and a conceptual proposal for the properties by 10 a.m. on Feb. 24, 2020 to be put through evaluation.

A Pre-Proposal Conference for prospective developers will be held on Monday, Dec. 16 at 10 a.m. in Conference Room A of the East Lansing City Hall at 410 Abbot Road. Participants may attend the meeting in person or by conference call.

Share and discuss “EL seeks market for housing study, former Park Place properties” on social media.