Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Hunter Morse stands out despite tough weather conditions

Michigan State men's soccer goalkeeper performs in rainy mud-match against No. 25 Maryland

<p>Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Hunter Morse (1) gets ready to throw the ball back into play during their home game against Penn State. The Spartans fell to the Nittany Lions 3-0 on Oct. 1 at DeMartin Stadium.</p>

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Hunter Morse (1) gets ready to throw the ball back into play during their home game against Penn State. The Spartans fell to the Nittany Lions 3-0 on Oct. 1 at DeMartin Stadium.

When Michigan State men’s soccer (2-6-3) took the field Friday evening against defending College Cup champions and conference opponents No. 25 Maryland Terrapins (6-3-2), the conditions were dry.

Not for long.

Rain started to pour only minutes into the game and persisted through the entire 90 minute draw. The slip-and-slide-like conditions put a new element of challenge into the game, as water built up on the field.  With each step water splashed up and above the players feet as they stumbled and slid around the field.

With a wet field comes a slippery ball, but it didn’t seem to phase redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Hunter Morse, who rose to the occasion and netted save after save.

The constant hard rain turned the game into a mud match, and with the ball constantly in Michigan State territory, Morse was somehow able to shine.

“He made a couple very big saves ... he’s making good saves, we just gotta manage some of those other parts of the game as well,” Head Coach Damon Rensing said after the game.

The goalkeeper was able to keep the game close, as the second half saw the Terrapins constantly on the attack. Morse made 6 saves, before letting in his lone goal of the night.

The point came in the second half, 77 minutes in, following three Michigan State fouls and a strong Maryland attack.  Rensing said the goal appeared to be the result of miscommunication between Morse and the centerbacks, as the score came off a restart.

Following the goal, Maryland continued to produce opportunities, but Morse was able to bounce back, keeping them away from the net, with several stops to potential goals.

The game was called by the referee at the end of the 90 minute regulation and resulted in a draw between The Spartans and Terrapins.

Despite the one goal allowed, Morse was able to keep the game close in tough conditions to play in, as Maryland threatened to pull ahead the entire second half.

Share and discuss “Hunter Morse stands out despite tough weather conditions ” on social media.