Michigan bans flavored vape products

<p>Flavored vape products soon to be off the shelves after emergency rules initiated by the state of Michigan, the first of their kind.</p>

Flavored vape products soon to be off the shelves after emergency rules initiated by the state of Michigan, the first of their kind.

Photo by State News File Photo | The State News

On Wednesday, Michigan became the first state to put a ban on flavored e-cigarettes by Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. 

The ban was put into effect because Whitmer found through the health department that e-cigarettes used by youth constituted a public health emergency. Whitmer ordered the ban Tuesday and it was officially implemented on Wednesday. 

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel praised the bold move and issued a public health emergency to initiate the ban.

"With a more than 1.5 million increase in the number of students using vaping products in just one year, the governor's emergency actions today are exactly the bold measures we must take to protect Michigan's children from the dangerous effects of vaping," she said in a statement.

According to the Washington Post, Whitmer expressed, in an interview, her concerns.

“My number one priority is keeping our kids safe and protecting the health of people of Michigan,” Whitmer said. 

Whitmer also said she believes e-cigarette companies are using flavors to lure young people into using nicotine. The ban will also apply to vapes that use mint and menthol flavoring. 

The ban will cover not only retail sales but online as well.

Vape shops have 30 days to clear their shelves. The ban will last for six months and can be renewed for another period of six months. Whitmer plans to codify permanent regulations.

Michigan Department of Health and Human Services are against the usage of e-cigarettes for youth because the ingredients may be toxic. However, there is little research on the ingredients or long term effects.

Another concern MDHHS has with e-cigarettes is, they could possibly lure youth to try actual tobacco products. Cigarettes are also known to cause certain diseases and possible deaths.  

Michigan State is a tobacco free campus, meaning that the usage of tobacco, nicotine, e-cigarettes and hookah pens are already prohibited for usage on campus. 

Students are free to use tobacco products off campus. 

NOTE: MSU’s spokesperson Emily Guerrant was not able to give feedback at the moment, on how this new ban will impact the students. 

Share and discuss “Michigan bans flavored vape products” on social media.