ASMSU President Katherine Rifiotis takes leave of absence

President of the Associated Students of Michigan State University Katherine "Cookie" Rifiotis listens to community input about MSU's presidential search at the Kellogg Conference Center on Oct. 11, 2018.

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, announced Monday evening that President Katherine “Cookie” Rifiotis is taking a personal leave of absence for the rest of the semester, effective immediately.

Senior chemistry major Caroline Colpoys, Rifiotis’ executive assistant, spoke to The State News by phone Monday evening to discuss this announcement. 

When asked whether Rifiotis was planning on coming back to office next semester, Colpoys said, "For now, we’re just waiting to hear back from her on that, but what we know right now is she’s gonna be gone the rest of the semester and that’s about all we know." 

Thursday’s general assembly meeting will be one of the most important of the entire year. Between 11 and 13 bills will be voted on, and a special election will be held to replace current Vice President of Governmental Affairs Eli Pales, who is studying abroad next semester. 

Rifiotis missing this meeting was unexpected.

“All that we’re saying right now is she’s taking a personal leave of absence for the rest of the semester, so Dan (Dan Iancio, vice president for finance and operations) takes over as president pro-tempore, and he and Makenzie (Makenzie Bosworth, vice president for student allocations) will be co-chairing the meeting on Thursday,” Colpoys said. 

Rifiotis, a senior political theory and constitutional democracy major, ran unopposed and was elected unanimously to lead the 55th session of ASMSU last April.

Share and discuss “ASMSU President Katherine Rifiotis takes leave of absence” on social media.