Sunday, June 23, 2024

Three key takeaways from only Brixie, Nastas debate

Candidates for the Michigan House of Representatives debate on Oct. 4. Democrat Julie Brixie (left) and Republican George Nastas (right) faced questions from a HOMTV moderator and members of the audience who called in to the station. Photo courtesy of HOMTV

Candidates for the Michigan House of Representatives in the 69th District faced off during their only general election debate Thursday, facing questions from a HOMTV moderator and from viewers who called in to the program. Below are the areas where Democrat Julie Brixie and Republican George Nastas offered the clearest contrast to one another. 

A dispute over gerrymandering

Regarding a ballot proposal to create an independent committee to draw legislative district lines rather than having the state Legislature draw them, Nastas conflated municipal and county boundaries with gerrymandering conducted by state legislators.

“Julie talks about gerrymandering — the 69th House District, Ingham County and Meridian Township are pretty good examples of gerrymandering. Meridian Township government is dominated by — I think it’s 100 percent Democratic. The Ingham County Board, I think, is nine or ten Democrats and a couple of Republicans, and the state senator is a Democrat and has been for a number of years,” Nastas said. “Talk about gerrymandering, my God. Republicans have had practically no representation in this area.”

Brixie responded that the Meridian Township board is not elected by district; every member of the board represents the entire geographic area that is Meridian Township. She also said that the 69th House District is not gerrymandered, except for the city of Williamston's inclusion in the 68th House District “to try and make that district more Republican.”

Ultimately, however, Nastas said that drawing district lines “is an inherently political process and should be made by the political parties.”

Nastas unaware of sexual assault fallout legislation

Responding to questions about legislation passed in the wake of the Larry Nassar scandal, Nastas admitted that he was unaware what bills were being discussed. Brixie said that while she supports the legislation, she feels the statute of limitations needs to be extended beyond what current law mandates and that we need to find new ways to raise awareness about the issue.

“We need to believe survivors,” Brixie said. “We need to make sure that our law enforcement is trained to appropriately react and not retraumatize people who have been victims of these crimes.”

Nastas would bring business experience to Legislature

Having spent several years working in the private sector, Nastas argued that he is the candidate most equipped to put money back in the pockets of voters. His plan to do that involves cutting taxes for businesses and eliminating the personal income tax.

“Businesses don’t pay taxes, they collect taxes,” Nastas said several times during the debate, arguing that they simply pass the increased cost onto consumers through lower wages and increased prices.

Nastas said he would account for the state’s decreased revenue by downsizing governmental agencies and programs, from healthcare to public schools. Students perform better in schools with limited resources, not schools that are given a blank check, Nastas said.

Brixie, who is currently Meridian Township’s treasurer, pushed back on the notion that businesses don’t pay taxes and said that healthcare is a right.

Full debate:

Share and discuss “Three key takeaways from only Brixie, Nastas debate” on social media.