MSU nationally recognized for sustainability efforts

Genetics sophomore Haaniya Mallick digs dirt to plant irises outside of Olin Health Center on Oct. 10, 2018.
Genetics sophomore Haaniya Mallick digs dirt to plant irises outside of Olin Health Center on Oct. 10, 2018. —
Photo by Anntaninna Biondo | The State News

On Oct. 10, MSU was nationally recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency with a 2018 Green Power Leadership Award, according to a press release from MSU. This award was received by MSU Director of Sustainability Amy Butler at the 2018 Renewable Energy Markets Conference in Houston, Texas.

This award acknowledges the work of America’s leading renewable power users and the work they are doing to foster a greener power market. MSU has a history of leading the way in implementing sustainable facilities on campus and addressing the challenges of creating greener and cleaner energy. 

“It is absolutely tremendous to be recognized. As I understand, there were a number of applicants of very, very high quality. To be recognized on a national level was just exciting and it also says a lot about the fact that MSU is moving forward and stepping out and demonstrating, it's walking the walk,” Butler said.  

On campus, MSU faculty and students work together to power the South Campus Anaerobic Digester, the Student Organic Farm and Facility for Rare Isotope Beams.

“We were very honored to be recognized, along with the University of California University System, for the work that we have done and what we’ve accomplished in incorporating renewable energy into our energy portfolio,” Butler said. 

Sustainability at MSU starts in the roots of the culture and community on campus, Butler said. MSU offers students opportunities to incorporate sustainability studies into their major or minor in social sciences, engineering, journalism and more. 

Additionally, services across campus like MSU Gardens, the Recycling Center and Surplus Store, MSU Bikes and MSU’s Residential and Hospitality Services are working to promote environmental mindfulness and change. 

Students can further their involvement in contributing to campus sustainability by competing in the October EcoChallenge, and there are a number of student organizations on campus working to promote sustainable initiatives.  

Additionally, alumni are keeping their eyes on MSU and feel pride in any positive strides the university makes, Butler said. 

“I am finding that as I start talking more and more about it, more and more alumni are reaching out and saying, ‘we’re very excited to see our university do this,'” she said. 

More information about sustainability efforts on campus can be found on the MSU Sustainability website, Facebook or Twitter.

Share and discuss “MSU nationally recognized for sustainability efforts ” on social media.