Chris Frey, Brian Allen named as only 2 captains for MSU football

<p>Seniors offensive lineman Brian Allen and linebacker Chris Frey are pictured on Aug. 24, 2017 at the practice fields behind Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Allen and Frey are the two captains of the MSU football team.</p>

Seniors offensive lineman Brian Allen and linebacker Chris Frey are pictured on Aug. 24, 2017 at the practice fields behind Duffy Daugherty Football Building. Allen and Frey are the two captains of the MSU football team.

Photo by Jon Famurewa | The State News

Of the thousands who have suited up in the green and white and the ones who are revered for their accomplishments as Spartans — only a select few are ever named captain.

Their teammates look to them to bring stability to the locker room. They stand above the 12-member Eagle Council, a leadership core relied upon by head coach Mark Dantonio.

From there, those Spartans are voted by their peers as captains.

As MSU's first opponent, Bowling Green, looms and tugs at the team's collective conscious, the captains have been announced as fall camp slowly turns into kickoff.

From the 2016 Eagle Council, only one Spartan returns — senior offensive lineman Brian Allen. Allen, along with senior linebacker Chris Frey, were named the team's two captains for the 2017 season Thursday.

The decision to roll with two captains is a notable change compared to past years, as MSU normally elects three captains. Due to the voting, however, Dantonio said the team decided to stick with just two captains.

"Usually we've taken three (captains)," Dantonio said. "We took two this year because there was so much clarity as to who would be the two guys. And the rest it was all sort of shaken up."

Between the two, they bring a wealth of experience. They've both been contributors since their freshman year, an aspect Dantonio praised.

Brian follows his brother's footsteps, offensive lineman Jack Allen, on his path to captaincy. Jack was a captain during the 2015 season as the Spartans went on to win the Big Ten and a spot in the College Football Playoff.

Frey joins former Spartan linebackers Riley Bullough and Darien Harris as leaders of the squad. It's the third straight year a linebacker has been chosen as a captain.

"It's an honor and a blessing (being a captain)," Frey said. "So many leaders, so many guys that I have looked up to, so many guys that I have played with and I've been really close to have been captains of this team. It just means you have to hold yourself to a higher standard."

As the two captains have been chosen, another pair of Eagle Council members will be selected to join the ranks. Currently, there are 10 other Spartans part of the Eagle Council other than Frey and Allen.

Now, fall camp concludes for the Spartans and prep for Bowling Green begins. MSU takes its first step in healing from the disaster of a 3-9 season.

"I think we've had a great camp," Dantonio said. "Great enthusiasm, worked extremely hard. A lot of live plays, got some guys nicked up that need to heal up, but they'll be ready. I thought we had a very good camp, got a lot of young players in the mix."

Share and discuss “Chris Frey, Brian Allen named as only 2 captains for MSU football” on social media.